Company Splitting - Need to move mail

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company Splitting - Need to move mail

Company is splitting up, parent company is exchange 2003 with their own domain.

In the split off company, new server 2008, new exchange 2007 with all new users being setup with new domain.

Question - Once I have the new server up and users created what is the best way to move email, calendars, etc. from the 2003 domain that we are splitting from over to the new server?

I remember a company that made an app for moving like that between groupwise and 2003 but figured it must be built in now??

Thanks,

Tim

Re: Company Splitting - Need to move mail

How many users? What version of Windows? Myself personally i would favor Exmerge depending on the size of the mailboxes (or the mail migration wizard which is more robust) and the number of mailboxes. As that allows you to keep AD clean and doesnt bring across any legacy clutter from the previous domain. Exch 2007 though does have the ability to migrate mailboxes across exch organisations but we'd need to know a bit more about your topology before an appropriate solution can be given.

Comment

Given the drawbacks with PSTs and the loss of Single Instance Storage, I would only ever consider using ExMerge as a last resort...
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

The new organization will have 75 users and carrying over about 100GB of email, calendar, etc.

I have done an exmerge of all the data for a just in case scenario.

I want to do everything as a new system, new exchange without carrying over anything from AD from old domain.

Happy to hear more replies on this.

Comment

And what version of Windows is this?

Comment

Parent domain is server 2003 with exchange 2003.

New domain I am building is server 2008 with exchange 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by macking View Post
              Parent domain is server 2003 with exchange 2003.

New domain I am building is server 2008 with exchange 2007.
              Firstly you will need to establish a trust relationship between each forrest and move the user accounts with the ADMT.

Once that is done follow the steps outlined here.

Comment

Working...
              X