shared mailbox cannot recieve exteral email

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shared mailbox cannot recieve exteral email

I have a shared mailbox that cannot receive external email for some reason. I have confirmed it can send/receive internal mail without any issues. Also double checked my transport rules nothing there, made sure the mailbox is set to receive email from 'all senders' and 'Require that all senders are authenticated' is NOT checked.

Also when sending email to this mailbox from my gmail account I do not receive a NDR. It seems Exchange is silently dropping the emails? Not sure what else it could be?

Re: shared mailbox cannot recieve exteral email

Have you checked the emails assigned to the mailbox? Internal emails may be using an internal address. You could try allocating another email adress to it as well and see if emails are received.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
      Have you checked the emails assigned to the mailbox? Internal emails may be using an internal address. You could try allocating another email adress to it as well and see if emails are received.
      I added another smtp address as you have suggest and external email came through fine, why would it be having trouble with the default smtp address?

Comment

What was the default SMTP address?

Comment

I see. Is the default one using the same Domain name?

Comment

I see. Is the default one using the same Domain name?
            default smtp: [email protected]
            for testing smtp: [email protected]

Comment

Set the test one as default, delete the tools SMTP address. Then re-add it and set it as default. Then test.

Comment

Set the test one as default, delete the tools SMTP address. Then re-add it and set it as default. Then test.
                tried, no such luck. Is it something I could have set in the powershell to drop inbound external mail?
                Last edited by benblank04; 21st August 2009, 14:39.

Comment

How are your Exchange roles setup? You could look at the message tracking in the Exchange Toolbox. You can look and see if the message has been tracked.

Comment

When tracking the messages it only brings up the emails I sent to the alias and not the default address. It seems Exchange is just dropping inbound external emails sent to [email protected].
                    Last edited by benblank04; 21st August 2009, 14:48.

Comment

When using telnet to test SMTP using the command

rcpt to:[email protected] I get 550 5.1.1 User unknown

Comment

Are your emails scanned by a 3rd Party or firewall before being sent to Exchange? Are you using any Transport rules?

Comment

Are your emails scanned by a 3rd Party or firewall before being sent to Exchange? Are you using any Transport rules?
                          We are using MailWatch, I have confirmed the emails are being passed through to Exchange. I am also using a couple transport rules; I have gone through all of them to ensure they would have not affect on this mailbox.

On a side note, after I receieved the 'User Unknown' error using Telnet to test SMTP, I ran the update-globaladdresslist command in the shell and it returned a bunch of errors.

****UPDATE the error is for the Offline Address Book****

Event ID 9360
                          Source: MSEcxchangeSA
                          Task Cat: OAL Generator
                          Last edited by benblank04; 21st August 2009, 15:14.

Comment

Just thought I would let you know I figured out what the problem was.

I have the anti-spam agent install on Exchange, and apparently I must have entered the address of this particular mailbox in ‘Recipient Filtering’ to block external mail. Long story short, removed the address from ‘Recipient Filtering’ and all is well.

Comment

Working...
                            X