Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best high availability clustering scenario for exchange 2007?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best high availability clustering scenario for exchange 2007?

good morning every one

i am in planning now , and i need help to decide which is the best senario for clusturing in exchange 2007 , note that i have no problem in servers quantities.

please advice
    samer Sulaiman

Re: What is the best high availability clustering scenario for exchange 2007?

Samer,
    This is such an open ended question that we cannot really answer!
    To help, can you tell us:
    How many sites?
    Roughly how many users at each site?
    Roughly what volume of data?
    What internet & inter-site connectivity?
    What server OS you are wanting (2003 or 2008 )?
    Anything else you think might help?

Others will advise you (and quite rightly so) that your best bet -- especially if you have the unlimited budget you appear to have -- is to get a good consultant (Hi Sembee ) to come and analyse your environment and recommend. All we can do is guess from your information and I personally would hate to make a very expensive decision on that basis!
    Last edited by Ossian; 16th August 2009, 08:34.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

dear Ossian

thanks u r right my question very general ...

How many sites?
      we have 2 main site but i am planning to install all servers in HQ only in main server room , we have 2 dell blade M1000e chassis .

Roughly how many users at each site?
      users mainly in HQ we have around 180 users

Roughly what volume of data?
      now around 40GB , i dont think i will face problem with size i will give exchange 200 GB on EMC storage

What internet & inter-site connectivity?
      internet we have 2 MB leased line through fiber

What server OS you are wanting (2003 or 200?
      win 2008 enterprise

samer Sulaiman

Comment

How many users at 2nd site and what connectivity? (noting you plan to install in main site)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

20 user , but there is no server room in the 2'nd site because of that installation of servers must be in head quarter only
          samer Sulaiman

Comment

connectivity with 2nd site is 64kbps leased line and they have ADSL 1MB internet connection
            samer Sulaiman

Comment

OK
              For the second site you have either:
              MAPI over your 64Kbit line or Outlook Anywhere over the ADSL -- 20 users should be no problem on either option

For the main site you would probably want
              A cluster of 2 servers (plus the witness server) with the mailbox role and some sort of NAS/SAN device they can talk to
              CAS and HT roles are, IMHO, less critical since they change rarely and can be restored quickly with a good backup solution, but you could have two of each
              Edge transport is (again IMHO) a waste of a license, but you say you have licenses to burn

Of course, with a good NAS/SAN you could virtualise all the roles and have them fail over to another blade if the main one fails -- this may be worth looking at

Disclaimer -- others here have considerably more E2007 expertise than me, so listen to their opinions too
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

dear ossian , mny thanx for ur help

outlook any where through ADSL .

do yoiu have any document or presentation about this issue

regards
                samer Sulaiman

Comment

Originally posted by ssulaiman View Post
                  dear ossian , mny thanx for ur help

outlook any where through ADSL .

do yoiu have any document or presentation about this issue

regards
                  does http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...&meta=&aq=f&oq=

Aside: Can you give us an idea about your Windows Server, Networking and Exchange experience so we can pitch answers appropriately
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Working...
                  X