Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I recover someone's emails if they delete them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I recover someone's emails if they delete them?

Be gentle, I am newly in charge of Exchange.

I am running 07 on a Server 2008 machine. A user quit our company and deleted all of her files and every single email and mail folder she had. I used Shadow Copy to get previous versions of her files, can I use Shadow Copy to restore her mail account? Where can I find those files out? Where is the path?

Thanks so much in advance.

Re: How do I recover someone's emails if they delete them?

Do you have deleted item retention set on the server?
    Do you have backups of Exchange?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Also, do you have mail journaling enabled?
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I ahte to say this, but I don't know. I'm very new to Exchange. Walk me through this and I will see.

Thanks.

Comment

If you have not deleted the mailbox, or the AD account. Try this, it may be a long shot but try it anyway

Log onto a pc as the user, open email and go to the TOOLS menu then Recover Deleted items.

This is something that you have probably already tried, but if not this may work

Comment

If you have already deleted the mailbox/user, you may be able to reconnect the mailbox to a new user account if it's still tombstoned and hasn't been removed from the directory yet (and then would be able to try Bruce's suggestion).
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Mount the mailstore of which the user was a member under the recovery storage group. Restore a backup copy of the mailstore prior to the employee leaving the company. Usually once you have specified the correct mailstore/db under the recovery storage group your backup/restore software will know where to restore the files to - Using Veritas Netbackup we just "Restore to Original Location." It's scary yes selecting "restore to original location" but if you have the correct database specified the exchange/backup API's know where to place the restored files.

http://www.petri.com/using_rsg_in_exchange_2007.htm

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...ange-2007.html

In exchange 2003 I used exmerge to pull the users data into a .pst file and then let the user find whichever items they deleted. There are obviously other ways to get the data merging,etc....

Comment

Working...
              X