Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64-bit onto 32-bit OS?

Hi all,

i know its a daft question, but i'm trying to help get someone get their (and mine i guess) head around the differences in architecture.

Basically they've built a server just running a core2duo and 4gb ram. Its not a big setup so should be fine for less than 6 users.
    They want to use Server 2008 Standard as the OS.
    They also wants Exchange Server 2007 which is only 64 bit for production purposes.
    However does that mean they HAVE to install Server 2008 64-bit?
    Their problem is that the particular business app they will be running is only 32-bit and have been told NOT to install it onto 64-bit systems.

If this cannot happen, they'll have to drop down to server 2003 and Exchange 2003 as they are BOTH 32-bit, which is pretty expensive to use 6 years old software and hardly future-proofed. But then i guess their software is hardly future-proofed as its only 32-bit, but that's beside the point.

So, can someone please confirm that to run 64-bit applications, a 64-bit OS is required?

Many thanks

Re: 64-bit onto 32-bit OS?

Yes, you will need a 64 bit OS.

To get round your issue with 32 bit software, you could look into virtualising that application. In the past, I had to virtualise Windows 1995 for an account department who were using legacy software still. The accounts manager was refusing to upgrade as the software was fit for purpose.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Virtual.

I've not toyed with virtualisation yet, so i can't really start by deploying it into a real working environment on this occasion. Looks like server and exchange 2003 will have to be used.

However as a technet subscriber i'm thinking of trying virtualisation with various OS'es etc.

Any pointers? Should i start the MS virtual server?

Thanks

Comment

You could try Virtual Server and install it in your client PC. Maybe even Virtual PC. If you have spare hardware, it will be worth you using Windows 2008 with Hyper-V. It needs to be a 64 bit platform for Hyper-V but you can virtualise 32 bit OSes.

Comment

Given the requirements, I would be looking to increase the RAM and then use one of the bare metal virtualisation technologies to share the load - so either Hyper-V or ESXi. You will need two Windows licences but it would potentially allow you to have a separate domain controller and Exchange server.

The world is going 64 bit - the next version of Exchange and Windows are most likely to be 64 bit only.

Simon.
          --
          Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
          More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
          Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
          In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
            Given the requirements, I would be looking to increase the RAM and then use one of the bare metal virtualisation technologies to share the load - so either Hyper-V or ESXi. You will need two Windows licences but it would potentially allow you to have a separate domain controller and Exchange server.
            A good suggestion, particularly separating out AD and Exchange. Plus with another Windows licence you could also separate out your business applications onto another server, as Microsoft would encourage you to do.

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
            The world is going 64 bit - the next version of Exchange and Windows are most likely to be 64 bit only.
            One of my more... eccentric lecturers who wrote his own OS kernel while still in nappies has spent the last few years working on his designs for a 1024-bit CPU.

There's evil genius and then there's just scary

Quoth Wikipedia about 128-bit...

Originally posted by Wikipedia
            128-bit processors could become prevalent when 16 exbibytes of addressable memory is no longer enough (128-bit processors would allow memory addressing for 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,45 6 bytes (~340.3 undecillion bytes); about 340,282,366,920,938.5 yottabytes; exactly 281,474,976,710,656 yobibytes; exactly 256 tebi-yobibytes; or exactly 256 exbi-exbibytes of memory). However, physical limits make such large amounts of memory currently impossible, given that amount greatly exceeds the total data stored on the planet earth.
            I think that may be some way off. Makes you wonder though...
            Last edited by gforceindustries; 6th August 2009, 17:56.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              I think that may be some way off. Makes you wonder though...
              You mean "sometime in Q4 2010" ?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                You mean "sometime in Q4 2010" ?
                Well... Exchange is a bit of a memory hog...
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                X