Same email domain but multiple sites

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same email domain but multiple sites

We have a client with a number of offices around the world who wants all staff, wherever they are based, to use their primary email address ([email protected]) for email.

The head office is using Exchange 2007 and the satellite offices Exchange 2003. The ability to send mail for 'unknown users' back out in Exchange 2003 has been deprecated in Exchange 2007.

Using mail contacts in Exchange 2007 to send to downstream servers is resulting in loops. There are practical reasons why we can't use VPN connections between the offices (China, Middle East).

Can somebody give me some pointers as to the best way to deal this this? I may be missing something obvious.

I would be most appreciative.

Colin
    Colin

Re: Same email domain but multiple sites

1. So these offices are not all in the same AD forest\domain and each Exchange server is a separate Exchange Organization and therefore not covered by the same Recipient Policies?

2. What do you mean "The ability to send mail for 'unknown users' back out in Exchange 2003 has been deprecated in Exchange 2007"? What ability to send for 'unknown users' are you referring to?

3. How does "Using mail contacts in Exchange 2007 to send to downstream servers" help in the first place? Could you explain how you've got the contacts set up?

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

1. The individual sites have their own .local AD domains - most using SBS2003. So the answer to your first point is they each have their own recipient policies.

2. With Exchange 2003 under Server/Protocols/SMTP Virtual Server Properties/messages to set "Forward all mail with unresolved recipients to host:" which was quite a useful way of 'kludging' this kind of situation. Exchange 2007 doesn't have this facility.

3. What we tried was having a Mail Contact for a remote user then sending to a remote server. e.g. head office receives email for [email protected] who works in Dubai. The Exchange mail contact accepts mail for address [email protected] and then forwards it to an address on the Dubai server. Hope that makes sense?
      Colin

Comment

OK, now it makes sense. Here's an idea that might be simple to implement until you can find a better one or get everyone under the same "umbrella":

1. Create a recipient policy on each of the Exchange servers for domain.tld.

2. Point you MX record for domain.tld to one of the Exchange 2003 servers. Configure this server to forward email to unresolved recipient's to the next 2003 server.

4. Configure this next 2003 server to forward to the next 2003 server.

5. Continue forwarding through your 2003 servers with the last one forwarding to the 2007 server.

Does this sound like it would work? It sounds a little whacky, but maybe it would do the trick.

Comment

Yeah, I thought of that but the problem is that majority of the email comes in to the Exchange 2007 server (100 users) and the 2003 servers are all on the end of ADSL connections ... they usually only have half a dozen users.

The round robin would be a nightmare
          Colin

Comment

I considered that the remote sites probably had fewer users and slower WAN links but as long as the links are reliable I think it would work fine. The email would take a little longer to get to the users on the 2007 server because of having to hop through the 2003 servers, but if there's no significant delay maybe it's worth a shot.

I'm off to work, but if I think of anything else I'll post back.

Comment

Many thanks - I will also have a ponder!

Colin
              Colin

Comment

What I've done in the past for a situation similar to this was to create AD accounts/mailboxes on the main office system with primary smtp aliases of [email protected] and then set a target address on the accounts via ADSI Edit which forwards all the mail to [email protected]

Then create a send connector that routes all mail destined for @target.domain.tld to smart host it to one of the remote 2003 servers where you have added [email protected] as secondary smtp aliases to the mailboxes.

You could send all the traffic to one remote 2003 server and let it forward the mail around to the other remote 2003 servers or make it more granular by using target addresses like china.domain.tld, middleeast.domain.tld, etc on the main office users.

Comment

Thanks BigD ... that is roughly what I have been considering this afternoon.

I need the 2007 server to be the 'master' as they receive a lot of email, most with sizeable attachments.

My idea was to create sub-domains as you suggest with matching send connectors and then use mail contacts to "re-address" incoming mail destined for the other offices to the sub-domain.

Colin
                  Colin

Comment

NP, it worked well for me in the past. I used actual AD accounts and mailboxes w/target addresses set on them rather than contacts because we were slowly migrating users to a centralized system.

Comment

When you say target addresses do you mean forwarding? That would work.
                      Colin

Comment

Not exactly. You have a couple different options with forwarding.

Option 1: You can create a contact and set an external email address to forward email to via ADUC.

Option 2: You can create a mail enabled user and forward mail via the "Delivery Options" in ADUC. The problem with this is that you have to forward it to something in your GAL so you'll have to create a contact to get the email to go externally.

Option 3: You can create a mailbox enabled user and set the "targetAddress" attribute on the account to something like "smtp:[email protected]" This can be found by looking at the account via ADSIEdit. This allows you to forward the mail to an external address just like a contact but you have an actual AD account and mailbox.

Comment

Thanks - that makes it much clearer.

I presume from previous posts option 3 is your preferred method? makes sense.
                          Colin

Comment

Working...
                          X