No announcement yet.

Crossorg mailbox move failed

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossorg mailbox move failed

I have built a new AD domain and exchange org to move from our old AD. The new domain has ILM setup to synchronise the GAL. I have setup some test accounts in both and have email flow working. I have migrated the ad groups with sids, and have moved a test user account with sid. Great so far.

When I try to move the test accounts mailbox with the move-mailbox cmdlet I get the following error:

Move-Mailbox : Error was found for Test1 ([email protected]) because: Error
    occurred in the step: Preparing mailbox to be moved. The action could not be c
    ompleted because the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service is unavailabl
    e. Be sure the service is running and you have network connectivity to the Micr
    osoft Exchange Server computer., error code: -1056696543

Command used:
    Move-Mailbox -TargetDatabase "uklonmbx01\Storage Group Email n-z\mailbox n-z" -Identity Test1 -GlobalCatalog -SourceForestGlobalCatalog -NTAccountOU "OU=Users,ou=London,ou=uk,ou=eu,ou=firm,dc=xxx,dc= local"
    -SourceForestCredential $sourceCredential -TargetForestCredential $targetCredential

Re: Crossorg mailbox move failed

Found the issue. The powershell or cmdlet does like passwords over 14 characters, as soon as i shortended the password the mailbox moved like a charm.

Odd error message to recieve for having a password too long... did the longer password contain spaces or any odd characters?

In any case, thank you for posting back with your findings
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Very odd error message, it sent me way way way down the wrong road - looking at firewall setup, network permissions, anti-virus config etc etc.

The password was a secure 16 character alphanumeric with a mixture of upper & lowercase, there were no punctuation characters.