where does email go if it is not delivered

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where does email go if it is not delivered

Yesterday all of my users were only receiving internal email, unsure why I restarted the Exchange server and then external mail started coming in, but all the mail that people sent us externally prior to the restart we never received and the people who sent it never received a delivery failure.
    Where is it?

Anyone, Anyone?

Re: where does email go if it is not delivered

The emails will be queued on the sender's SMTP servers/mail servers until yours could accept emails once again. It depends on those servers configuration whether they get a failed delivery receipt and how often the retry sending to your server.

There could be a number of scenarios where they potentially may be. Can you provide more information regarding timescale, what servers you are using, how many etc.

Comment

This must have started somewhere around Sunday Night, when I first became aware of the issue on Monday I logged into the server and the only thing I noticed was that the server had done updates and wanted to restart so I restarted and after it came back up there were 2 services that I had to manually start as they didn't start on there own; I have been having that problem of exchange services not starting automatically after restart so I always check.
      My Exchange Server is Quad-Core AMD Opteron Processor 2350 2.00 GHz (2 processors)
      16 gb of ram 64 bit op sys Windows Server Standard Serdvice pack 1, I have only one Exchange Server and 5 other servers.

Comment

I see. You can check the logs in Exchange 2007. Message tracking is enabled by default and will let you know when emails stopped arriving. You can access that via Exchange Management Console. There is the chance that those emails would have timed out and will need to be re-sent again by the sender.

Comment

But if they timed out wouldn't the sender get a delivery failure report?

Comment

Only if the sending server is configured to send NDR's.

Also, most mail servers are configured to retry sending email for 48 hours. If your server was unavailable for less then 48 hours the emails are probably still in the sending server's outbound queue.

Comment

Working...
            X