No announcement yet.

Exchange installation path...

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange installation path...

Should Exchange bed installed to the C: or D: partition? All Typical installs say to install to C: - but shouldn't it be d:

My c: is 80GB
    my d: is 300GB

Re: Exchange installation path...

You should install it to the C partition and consider using the separate partition for the database and log files. The benefits depends on the Raid used, partition space, speed of HDDs, the number of users, potential size of the database/log files, backup/recovery time.

Personal preference is Windows and minimal apps (AV and not much else on C) and other apps in D:\Applications, but thats just preference

As said, separate Exchange Logs and Data onto separate partitions and, if possible, separate RAID arrays

Note this is not the sort of exercise done on the back of an envelope and there really should be some proper capacity planning before buying hardware
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Talking exclusively with my consultant hat on, there is nothing that annoys me more than having things in non-default locations. It screws up scripts, example files and other things.

I always tell people to put all the applications on "C:\Program Files" in the default location as requested by the installer. The server should be configured with that in mind.
        Then once the application is installed, the data is moved elsewhere.

I expect data to be in odd locations, I do not expect applications to.

Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
        Exchange Resources List:
        In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.