Remote VPN users can't connect to Exchange server through Outlook

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote VPN users can't connect to Exchange server through Outlook

Running Exchange 2007Enteprise at the office. All users on the LAN can connect, all external users can connect to OWA no problem, and all VPN users can also connect to network shares and OWA but can NOT connect to Exchange through Outlook (2003 and 2007 versions). They can't ping the internal mail server when VPN'd in. Here's my setup in terms of Exchange:

Exchange 2007 Enterprise on LAN (server name=mailserver.mydomain.com) - 10.0.1.2
    ISA Server 2006..
    MX record set on external DNS server points to 66.66.66.11 - mail.mydomain.com
    The DNS doesn't seem to be the problem, as we can get to OWA and whatnoe just fine....

They can connect to all other drives and sales tools BUT Exchange server “ Outlook 2007”

Additional note:

My exchange server has two network cards: only one network card is used to conect to LAN network. I dicoverd that If I plug another cable in second network card, VPN users can connect but my outgoing emails stop going out and I end up with 100’s of emails wainting to go out to external servers. I can't ping even ping my exchange server through VPN.

Have try to amend the local host file - not doing any good
    have try to enable NETBIos over TCP/IP - not doing any good

Many thanks in advanced ....

Re: Remote VPN users can't connect to Exchange server through Outlook

Hello there, it can be the ISA server that is bloking something ? Checkout if WINS server is working because exchange 2007 works ok with wins.

Kevin

Comment

Many thanks for your reply

The ISA server is allowing all traffic through- “No connection denied”. What I'm struggling to understand is that when I connect the second cable on the spare NIC, it allows me to connect through VPN and ping the server as normal, but stops exchange sending any email externally..

Comment

Well i have the second NIC in sbs2008 working like you said, and it doesent stop sending emails, probably checkout you smtp connector to see what changes when you connect the second NIC cable , probably is sets the second nic as the responsable for sending emails...check that out.

Comment

Working...
        X