Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power Outage Exchange not coming back online...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Outage Exchange not coming back online...

Hi,

We had a power outage over the weekend - when there was no one available - and the UPS didn't last till Monday.

When we got in we switched everything on to find that everything was fine except for our Exchange 2007. I am unsure whether the questions I need to ask should be here or in the server 2008 section.

Server starts, but slowly (it takes around 15 minutes) and it appears it's taking this long because the services are not coming back online. The error we get is "This service did not start in a timely fashion". I would give more details but it appears that the Eventviewer is not recording anything.

Services will not start manually.

Obviously Exchange won't start.

So there are 2 problems. Server is having a fit and Exchange won't start.

I'm in touch with Dell AND MS and no one seems to know what the hells has happened!

Any help is much appreciated (there's beer in it for you if I can manage it): and I am happy to answer any questions.

Re: Power Outage Exchange not coming back online...

Update:

I am convinced the problem is not Exchange - but server.

Does anyone know if you do install the OS, then Exchange in recovery mode what effect this will have on the existing Exchange data? Are there any steps I should take prior to this if I can get to a desktop (probably in safe mode).

Comment

Why not try rebooting the servers first? Start with the DC's and then the Exchange server. Wait for the DC's to be up and operational (logon to a workstation as a test) and then reboot the Exchange server.

Comment

We did all of that. And a couple of reboots after that.

We opted for DR in the end and nuked the server.

Once we had the OS installed it was a simple matter of reinstalling Exchange with the RecoverServer switch active. It went fine. I've just switched Hub Transport on and it appears mail is back with no lost data.

It helped that I had all of the Exchange DBs and logs.

I am still not clear on what caused the problem in the first place (other than the power outage).

It seems Server 2008 is far less robust than 2003 when dealing with unexpected shutdowns.

Comment

Well done and thanks for posting back.

Comment

Originally posted by antihippy View Post
            We did all of that. And a couple of reboots after that.

We opted for DR in the end and nuked the server.

Once we had the OS installed it was a simple matter of reinstalling Exchange with the RecoverServer switch active. It went fine. I've just switched Hub Transport on and it appears mail is back with no lost data.

It helped that I had all of the Exchange DBs and logs.

I am still not clear on what caused the problem in the first place (other than the power outage).

It seems Server 2008 is far less robust than 2003 when dealing with unexpected shutdowns.
            Can you ellaborate on how you restored the databases and logs. Did you just copy them to the same partition and location as before and they just mounted or did you have to do anything else special?

Comment

Working...
            X