Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot Start System Attendant Service

Hi There,

I'm having an issue where I cannot start the Exchange System Attendant Service on our Exchange 2007 SP1 server.

A little background info on our environment. We have Exchange 2007 SP1 running on Windows Server 2008 which is running on VMWare ESXi. The two main DCs are also Windows 2008, but we also have a Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 DC (also an Exchange 2003 server) which will be decomissioned shortly.

Exchange 2007 was running happily until we decomissioned an old Windows 2000 DC yesterday. After that, Exchange seemed to break and started prompting clients for their usernames and passwords without letting them in to outlook. On the Exchange server, we could see kerberos PAC validation errors.

We rebooted the Exchange server and that seemed to fix the problem with the Outlook clients. Now, however, I cannot start the System Attendant service and therefore cannot create any new mailboxes or contacts.

When I try to start the service I get a message saying the service started and then stopped. This may be normal if services have no work to do when starting.

I checked the event logs and I can see an error message in the Application and System Logs:

Log Name: Application
    Source: MSExchangeSA
    Date: 04/06/2009 12:52:10 PM
    Event ID: 1005
    Task Category: General
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: EXCHANGE07.DOMAIN.LOCAL
    Description:
    Unexpected error The caller is not the owner of the desired credentials ID no: 80090306 Microsoft Exchange System Attendant occurred.

Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Security-Kerberos
    Date: 04/06/2009 12:52:10 PM
    Event ID: 7
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: EXCHANGE07.DOMAIN.LOCAL
    Description:
    The digitally signed Privilege Attribute Certificate (PAC) that contains the authorization information for client EXCHANGE07$ in realm DOMAIN.LOCAL could not be validated.

This error is usually caused by domain trust failures; please contact your system administrator.

I can get the second error to go away by purging the Kerberos tickets with klist. However, even with that error cleared up I still cannot start the service.

I found one other post online which references my Exchange error (80090306), but it is in spanish and from what I can tell, their Exchange 07 server is also a DC & GC, which is not the same as my scenario.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...8-0f257c0c4b44

Any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!
    Last edited by knockout; 4th June 2009, 18:00.

Re: Cannot Start System Attendant Service

How did the decomission go?
    What does the Exchange BPA show?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your response.

The decomission went smoothly. I didn't receive any errors what so ever and everything looked to be good. I then rebooted the server and logged back into it to shut it down. Soon after this is when we started seeing errors relating to kerberos PAC validation and had users calling to complain.

Since then we've brought the old DC back online, but it is still only running as a member server. It also has its DNS server disabled so as not to entertain any queries.

I did find a post online today that said it is best to stop all Exchange processes when running a DCPromo to decomission a DC because the Exchange server may be connected to that DC. This was not done when the system was decomissioned, but I've never done it before either and haven't run into these problems.

ExBPA doesn't show me anything that points me to a solution.

There is one error stating that VMWare has been detected and another warning saying that the Exchange System Attendant is not running (D'uh!), but that's basically it.

Tonight I've scheduled some downtime so I can reboot the server to see if it resolves the problem, although I am doubtful that it will. I also found another post online from someone who mentioned he could get the System Attendant service started by dismounting the stores, starting the service, and remounting the stores so I'm going to give that a shot.

Comment

It wasn't something small like the only DNS server Exchange was using? (had to ask!)
        Anything interesting in the other DC logs?
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
        X