LCR question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCR question

Has anyone been able to enable LCR on exchange 2007 and place the passive database and log files onto a remote shared folder?

I am trying to do this, but I keep getting permission issues when exchange tries to create the "inspector" folder

Any suggestions would help!

Re: LCR question

Anyone?????

Comment

LCR was designed for Locally attached storage (JBOD DAS etc) not net work shares AFAIK. Im not entirely sure why you would want a large copy of your exchange database along with its logs saturating your LAN. Thats just a lot of unnecessary traffic for no reason.

Comment

Well....the reason why I ask, is because I read the following quote from a exchange 2007 book:

"LCR files could be store on anything from a share on a remote server, a SAN/NAS or even a connected USB drive. "

So, can this really be done?

Comment

You can't use a NAS device. What are you trying to achieve? We can then recommend from there.

Comment

Originally posted by rock_o View Post
            Well....the reason why I ask, is because I read the following quote from a exchange 2007 book:

"LCR files could be store on anything from a share on a remote server, a SAN/NAS or even a connected USB drive. "

So, can this really be done?
            Myself personally i have only ever enabled LCR to locally attached storage. A SAN is a viable solution because it sits on its on backbone (iSCSI Fibre Channel etc) and the LUNS are presented as locally attached storage. The same is true of DAS or even a USB disc. Myself personally i wouldn't bother with a NAS device unless the NAS and Exchange were on there own VLAN. That being said it only increases latency if it must go over a network and has a direct impact on performance assuming the network is 10/100. Performance greatly increases when the storage device is local not NFS.

If that information you found is from Technet or some Exchange source then it must be possible. Although myself personally i would advise against it as a best practice.

Comment

Originally posted by rock_o View Post
              Has anyone been able to enable LCR on exchange 2007 and place the passive database and log files onto a remote shared folder?

I am trying to do this, but I keep getting permission issues when exchange tries to create the "inspector" folder

Any suggestions would help!
              This may help.

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...ation-LCR.html

Also, double check the user acciunts you have assigned to the permissions. Exchange 2007 also uses it's own and it depends how it was originally setup.

Also, make sure you only have 1 database in the storage group or each storage group you want to use LCR on.

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
                Myself personally i have only ever enabled LCR to locally attached storage. A SAN is a viable solution because it sits on its on backbone (iSCSI Fibre Channel etc) and the LUNS are presented as locally attached storage. The same is true of DAS or even a USB disc. Myself personally i wouldn't bother with a NAS device unless the NAS and Exchange were on there own VLAN. That being said it only increases latency if it must go over a network and has a direct impact on performance assuming the network is 10/100. Performance greatly increases when the storage device is local not NFS.

If that information you found is from Technet or some Exchange source then it must be possible. Although myself personally i would advise against it as a best practice.

You make a good point! Even though our database and organization is very small.....i think it is better just attaching a locally attached storage device for LCR.

Thank you everyone for your advice!

Comment

Working...
                X