Is there anything in Exchange, that I can check, that would explain why
    Exchange responds to telnet from within the LAN but not from the
    Internet?

The ISP told a non techie "that they do not filter ports", but this
    seems to me what they are doing.

Thanks for any tips

Chris

Re: Inbound SMTP Connection

Glad to say the issue is now resolved - mail now gets though, even if 'telnet <ip address> 25' still results in a timeout. I'm pretty sure it was updating the DNS at my registrar that did it:

@ 10800 IN MX 10 mail.domain.com.
    to ==>
    @ 10800 IN MX 10 <real-hostname->.domain.com.

But but I was sure I'd read that the host part of the MX record did not have to be accurate, and so 'mail' was OK. So I guess I was wrong (can someone confirm)?

I think it was the DNS record change that did the trick (makes sense when thinking of the '554 554 5.7.1 <[email protected]>: Relay access denied (state 14)' error)., but after I updated the DNS record I was out for a few hours and when I came back I started checking over my Exchange config (more looking for possible things, I don't think I changed anything but perhaps I did afterall...).

One question that is bugging me - why did Exchange respond to a telnet from the LAN but not from the Internet?

Cheers
    Chris

Comment

Thanks for posting back with the solution!
      LAN will use internal DNS so totally separate from your ISP
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by chrisinparis View Post
        @ 10800 IN MX 10 mail.domain.com.
        to ==>
        @ 10800 IN MX 10 <real-hostname->.domain.com.

But but I was sure I'd read that the host part of the MX record did not have to be accurate, and so 'mail' was OK. So I guess I was wrong (can someone confirm)?
        Bizarre. I was certain that Exchange didn't need the MX record to have the exact host name of the mail server either. I hope your servers name isn't goofy which would result in something like "MamaMia.domain.com" being your MX record. Not that it really matters, of course...
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
          Bizarre. I was certain that Exchange didn't need the MX record to have the exact host name of the mail server either. I hope your servers name isn't goofy which would result in something like "MamaMia.domain.com" being your MX record. Not that it really matters, of course...
          Not so bizarre because I made a mistake. I missed the the trailing full stop/period for the server same in the A record .

As for the telnet problem, I had "forgotten" (or not understood or simply not used my brain) when trying to telnet to the mail server from home that my ISP by default blocks outbound port 25. After a quick change on the router web interface, port 25 was unblocked and I could telnet to the mail server.

Comment

Well this can be or not but once i had a missing MX Record, i could send and receive emails, but when i tryed to replay the email, that's where the problems started And another thing that happend, there was missing a pointer to my server, i could receive and send emails with no problem, but when i used cc or bcc the emails would go out of my outbox, but it never get to the target inbox...weird stuff

Regards
            Kevin Guerreiro

Comment

Working...
            X