Exchange not working when DC with FSMO roles is down

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange not working when DC with FSMO roles is down

We are running a Server 2003 AD environment. We have 3 DCs: two 2003 boxes and one virtualized 2008 box. The main DC (DC1) is running 2003 and has all of the FSMO roles. We have all of our machines set up to use DC1 as the primary DNS server and the 2008 DC as the secondary DNS server.

We have been having some issues with DC1. When DC1 is down, Exchange doesn't seem to be functioning. It's as if it cannot communicate with AD. All 3 of our DCs are Global Catalog servers, so that's not the issue. Exchange is set up to use the 2008 box as it's secondary DNS server also, so that removes the other obvious answer.

I've seen lots of hits on Google regarding this topic, but no one seems to have an answer for it. Does anyone have any ideas how to resolve this? This is particularly crucial because we are planning on taking DC1 down ASAP to virtualize it.
    Drew Green
    MCITP:EA & Messaging 2010, MCSE:S, CCENT
    www.drewgreen.net

Re: Exchange not working when DC with FSMO roles is down

Reported for move to Exchange 2003 forum for better response.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The server is Exchange 2007.
      Drew Green
      www.drewgreen.net

Comment

I've had serious issues running a 2008 DC in a primarily 2003 environment. Also this might sound stupid but have you checked the firewall settings on your 2008 DC. I've had many things caused by this

Comment

Originally posted by addicus View Post
          I've had serious issues running a 2008 DC in a primarily 2003 environment. Also this might sound stupid but have you checked the firewall settings on your 2008 DC. I've had many things caused by this
          Check the firewall settings for what? I am able to authenticate through the 08 DC. And also, if I were to remove the 08 DC, what would I then need to do? Or would the problem magically fix itself?
          Drew Green
          www.drewgreen.net

Comment

Yes I could authenticate as well on the 2008 DC but yet I couldn't even UNC anywhere on it. Then in addition to having problems with Exchange, it became more complicated with SQL. Eventually became so frustrated I demoted the 2008 DC.....and yes they were magically fixed. The functionality between 2008 and 2003 isn't what it seems from what I have experienced. I wish I could be more help

Comment

Originally posted by addicus View Post
              Yes I could authenticate as well on the 2008 DC but yet I couldn't even UNC anywhere on it. Then in addition to having problems with Exchange, it became more complicated with SQL. Eventually became so frustrated I demoted the 2008 DC.....and yes they were magically fixed. The functionality between 2008 and 2003 isn't what it seems from what I have experienced. I wish I could be more help
              I can UNC just fine into the 08 box and it seems to be working fine. I don't think i'll be able to justify to my boss to demote the DC, unfortunately.
              Drew Green
              www.drewgreen.net

Comment

I assume everything is patched?
                Is IPV6 installed/running on the 2008?

You could always move the roles somewhere else when you are virtualising DC1. Seems a better option anyway?

What do the event logs show? The only error we have to go on is "Exchange doesn't seem to be functioning", could you provide a little more?

On a side note, Ossian only requested the move as it wasn't clear which Exchange you were running, it has been cancelled now. thanks
                cheers
                Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
                  I assume everything is patched?
                  Is IPV6 installed/running on the 2008?

You could always move the roles somewhere else when you are virtualizing DC1. Seems a better option anyway?

What do the event logs show? The only error we have to go on is "Exchange doesn't seem to be functioning", could you provide a little more?

On a side note, Ossian only requested the move as it wasn't clear which Exchange you were running, it has been cancelled now. thanks
                  Unfortunately, I can't be any more clear than that until the problem happens again (and we're trying to prevent the problem from happening again, so it's a Catch 22).

We're debating between moving the roles to the other 2003 DC while virtualizing DC1 or just doing a hot conversion/migration of DC1 to the virtual world, hoping that everything works fine.

EDIT: Everything is up to date. The 2008 DC has IPV6 enabled. I think I may have disabled it in the past but it caused problems. Not sure, though. That may have been on an 08 test VM I worked on at home.
                  Drew Green
                  www.drewgreen.net

Comment

Fair enough, no worries. Don't suppose you kept the logs from the last time?

If you AD is good (no errors dcdiag etc pass) then I would move the roles, should the virtualisation fail or cause issues then it keeps things smooth.
                    cheers
                    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Well I'm not at all familiar with Exchange 2007 but in Exchange 2003 there are a few things I can think of that might cause this. It might be worth a look in Exchange 2007:

In EMC under Server Configuration, on the system Settings tab of the server properties is the W2K8 server listed as being used by Exchange for both DC and GC communication?

How long after DC1 is down do the issues continue. Exchange normally caches AD info to reduce the number of AD queries it has to perform. Maybe you're not waiting long enough?

Comment

Originally posted by dwtechnology View Post
                        The server is Exchange 2007.
                        Apologies -- I saw all the mentions of "2003" in the original post and jumped to conclusions....
                        Well, you know what they say about "Assume".....
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                          Well I'm not at all familiar with Exchange 2007 but in Exchange 2003 there are a few things I can think of that might cause this. It might be worth a look in Exchange 2007:

In EMC under Server Configuration, on the system Settings tab of the server properties is the W2K8 server listed as being used by Exchange for both DC and GC communication?

How long after DC1 is down do the issues continue. Exchange normally caches AD info to reduce the number of AD queries it has to perform. Maybe you're not waiting long enough?
                          Now that's strange... Under the "System Settings", DC1 isn't even listed. The secondary 03 DC and the 08 DC are listed for DC and GC, but DC1 is not present in either list.

The issues we're having seem to happen immediately. We're not really able to "wait long enough" since this isn't something we're trying to do. Whenever DC1 is down, we want to get it up ASAP.
                          Drew Green
                          www.drewgreen.net

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                            Apologies -- I saw all the mentions of "2003" in the original post and jumped to conclusions....
                            Well, you know what they say about "Assume".....
                            No worries
                            Drew Green
                            www.drewgreen.net

Comment

I wonder what would happen if you set the secondary 03 DC as the primary DNS and the W2K8 server as the secondary DNS for the Exchange Server? Since Exchange will have to query DNS to find the DC and GC for it's use maybe when DC1 is down it can't find a DNS server to use?

Comment

Working...
                              X