Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring Exchange 2007 on same hardware

Hi,

If you have a catastrophic failure of hardware which meant a total format and rebuild of a server, is it possible to restore Exchange 2007 to the same hardware by restoring all the exchange files and system state from backup?

Is there any additional config that would need to be done in order to get the server backup and running?

Matt

Re: Restoring Exchange 2007 on same hardware

This is a good starting point:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb123579.aspx

It is good that you are thinking ahead on this!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for this!

In your opinion, if you had to restore Exchange to the same hardware, would you restore the exchange files and system state or would you just use the /recoverserver switch and use AD? I've never actually done either of the methods, i've just read up on the theory!!

I suppose with restoring from backup, you could have issues with backup media etc but is it actually quicker?

Matt.

Comment

Following on from (your opinions on this would be greatly appreciated):

In your opinion, if you had to restore Exchange to the same hardware, would you restore the exchange files and system state or would you just use the /recoverserver switch and use AD? I've never actually done either of the methods, i've just read up on the theory!!

I suppose with restoring from backup, you could have issues with backup media etc but is it actually quicker?

If i did have to restore from backup, i would still need to reimport the SSL certificate. Would i also still have to recreate the receive connector if the server that is being restored is a HT?

Thanks
        Matt

Comment

Note /recoverserver will not recover your databases, all it will do is leave a working Exchange server for you to restore the data to

Will need to think about the rest, but typically configuration does not get fully recovered
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply again.

I haven't got a test environment yet as i'm waiting for approval for hardware etc. I suppose what i need to do is just try a restore in a test lab and see what happens! I'm trying to write a DR doc but am trying to gather as much info from people who may have been in this siutation so my doc is as accurate as poss.

I understand that /recoverserver won't restore databases it's just what else is recovered that i'm struggling with.

Matt

Comment

Set up a virtual test environment (Dc + Exchange) and try it?
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

yeah, once the budget has been approved...!

Thanks for all you help again.

Matt

Comment

I have carried out the following before to rebuild Exchange 2007 on a failed server of the same build.
                  • Rebuild the server to same version, service pack and driver versions as before
                  • Restore the system state and file system backup
                  • Reinstall Exchange Server and service packs
                  • Restore the Exchange Server 2007 databases
                  The above is also quoted on p449 of Microsoft Press Exchange 2007 (SP1) administators companion.

You can just rebuild the application as you mention before as well, if you haven't got all the above backups.

If it's clustered, /RecoverCMS

If it's not, /m:RecoverServer

For the RecoverServer way.
                  • Reset the computer account in AD Users and Computers
                  • Make sure server names, volume config, directory paths are identical to the server before
                  • At the command prompt, change to the Exchange Server source directory and type: Setup.exe /m:RecoverServer
                  As you mention though, worth testing in a virtual environment. You will also need to restore a DC to the virtual environment to allow you to test. This will ensure you don't test on the production network.

Comment

Thanks for this.

I think i need to get my test lab sorted asap, the theory is all well and good but i need to test it all properly!

Matt

Comment

It's nice to know Microsoft has carried this method forward with Exchange 2007. I've used the Exchange 2003 method to move Exchange to new hardware several times and to recover a failed Exchange server. It's easy and pretty flawless.

Comment

Working...
                      X