Some of my users can only connect to Exchange while connected through VPN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some of my users can only connect to Exchange while connected through VPN

I have a few users that while at home, with their company laptops, can connect to wireless, can access the internet, but when they open Outlook 2003 they only get the "disconnected" notification down on the bottom right side of the Oulook window and will never connect unless they connect to the VPN.
    We all have the same settings in Outlook, so some of my other laptop users can connect to Exchange when they go home and some cannot.
    I am confused by this; any ideas?

Re: Some of my users can only connect to Exchange while connected through VPN

Do they have "connect over https" set up in the advanced properties of their profile?
    Do some googling for Outlook RPC/HTTP to see the exact settings
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

yes I have this setting:
      http://www.katospring.com/RegionCapture.png

Comment

For all your users?
        What you have described is typical of some users NOT having the http tick box ticked in the previous screen

If they CTRL+right click on the outlook taskbar icon and select "connection status", what do they see?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

all of my laptop/remote users have the same settings, i have made sure of it they all have http tick box ticked
          and outlook taskbar "connection status" says disconnected on the users that are having the issue

Comment

There should be lots more information than that
            When you hold down CTRL and right click the outlook icon you will get a "Connection Status" option (attachment Outlook1)
            When you select it you will see a lot of connection details (attachment Outlook2)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Ossian; 23rd May 2009, 07:09.
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Ok, don't think I am an idiot but I never knew this feature now that I have found this what do I look for or have my users look for? And do they look at this while they are out of the network and cannot connect to Outlook?

Comment

Certainly not an iD10T -- this is a very well hidden feature in Outlook
                In the local network (or over a VPN) either TCP/IP or HTTPS in the second screen
                Out of the office and NOT on a VPN -- HTTPS in the second screen
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Working...
                X