Need help with Public folder permissions on new EX07 install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Public folder permissions on new EX07 install

Hello all, and thank you in advance for your time.

I have a problem with a new exchange 2007 SP1 installation at a client site. All roles are installed on the same server, the option for Outlook 2003 clients was checked expressly for public folder creation, and this is not a migration from Exchange 2003.

My problem - I can in no way modify permissions at any level for public folders. I am aware that the public folder management console doesn't allow for it like in Ex03. I can however create a new public folder there that is visible to all users, but no Owner tab.

Things I have tried so far-
    Logged in to client using administrative account used to install Ex07, used Outlook to open mailbox, no owner tab to administer Public folders.

Ran exchange administator wizard for admin account in EMS - no luck
    Ran it for a different account - opened outlook - no luck

Ran exchange public folder administrator wizard for admin account - no luck
    Ran it for a different account - opened outlook - no luck

Tried to remove Public folder database in hopes of creating a new one - not able to remove it.

I have come across shell scripts that will grant permissions to individual folders, but none for the top level of the store. Do I really have to create a folder in the console, permission it for an account, and then build a hierarchy under it from there? Seems wrong to me..

How can I find out who is the owner account for the top level, or permission it that way?

I have several EX07 servers in production but all were migrations from EX03 and public folder permissions carried over.

I would appreciate any feedback you can give, the customer has been promised public folder functionality but what was a given in EX03 seems unneccessarily complex now....

Re: Need help with Public folder permissions on new EX07 install

You could try "AddUsersToPFRecursive.ps1" as described here:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../aa998834.aspx

Also more possible links here:
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...meta=&aq=f&oq=
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian - thank you for this.

I had come across this technet article but dismissed it at first because it didn't fit with how I have set up public folders in the past (read - exchange 2003). I had always set the security permission for the top level public folders in exchange 2003 for a particular user to be the owner, and then trained that person on how to create and permission any structure they wished within Outlook. So I have been stumbling with trying to find a method in EX07 to set the permission for the very top hierarchy for a particular user, with no luck. The AddUsersToPFRecursive.ps1 script only allows for a folder already created to be permissioned out, as far as I know. I have tried several variations without the -identity string in hopes of it working in a larger context without any luck.

Your reply with the scripts I had dismissed has made me rethink my strategy however. That coupled with my frustration over the fact that the Public Folder console in EX07 sp1 allows you to create a new public folder but does not prompt you for a type such as calendar or contacts, has prompted me to come up with a new method. Here is what I do now -

I, or a designated admin, create a folder in the EX07 Public Folder GUI. If it is a small organization I just give it the company name and let that be the "Top Level." If it is a larger company I might make several such as "Sales" or "Marketing" or "Admin" and those will be the top levels.
      I then run the script you pointed me to in EMS, setting a user up as the owner.

Such as -
      AddUsersToPFRecursive.ps1 -TopPublicFolder "\Sales" -User "David" -Permission Owner

It is important to note, as outlined at the bottom of the technet article, that the script won't work on folders with spaces in them, such as "\Sales Leads." You can make the folder a single name, set the owner, and then change it in outlook, but if you go that route be sure to also give a separate administrator account Owner permissions before the name change to protect yourself if the first account is removed or changed.

From there the user can administer and create the folders structure in Outlook. This is the method I used to get around this problem until someone can point me to a script that sets the permissions "higher" up the structure. I hope this helps anyone else looking at this.

Comment

Very useful reply
        Rep ++
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Just to point out that with regards to folder creation type, the public folder console in Exchange 2007 hasn't changed from Exchange 2003 in being unable to give you a selection type.
          If you want to choose which type of folder it is then always use Outlook. In fact do as much admin of public folders through Outlook as you can.

The behaviour that you are seeing is not correct. If the account has the relevant permissions then it should be able to manage the Public Folders in the same way as it did with Exchange 2003. However do take in to account that permission changes at the store/org level are cached and it can take some time before they take effect. Making a change and expecting it to work immediately is not going to happen unless you restart the information store service.

Simon.
          --
          Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
          More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
          Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
          In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
          X