How to Backup?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Backup?

Taking the plunge and using EX 2010 to replace my current Kerio system. Very please so far but I can't seem to back it up.

Windows Backup does not work (API been dropped) and I don't really want to set-up another Exchange server for my own personal testing network (Not enough resources available).

Is there a way to backup exchange 2010 I am missing?

Any third party tools work?

Re: How to Backup?

You do realise that Exchange 2010 is only a beta and is not feature rich???

Comment

Backup-less Support: The Exchange Server Database Availability Group DAG architecture allows log file replay to be lagged, enabling administrators to perform point-in-time database restores without the need for tapes. Organizations can rely on their high availability infrastructure rather than tape backups to recover from failures, and substantially decrease their operating costs.

Ref: http://bink.nu/news/exchange-2010-so...ilability.aspx
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Currently, there is no native backup solution built into Ex2010. However it uses VSS (and not streaming backup), therefore you could use MS Data Protection Manager to back it up, or 3rd-party backup tools - more of which will be available as RTM time approaches).
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I should have specified that I am testing it in my home LAN using my own email - not corporate use (or even corporate testing) but that's not to say it doesn't have some value to me

As such, available computer resources are not huge and I am reluctant (and low on resources) to keep another server (either DPM or another exchange server) running just to backup my Exchange when previously I could just dump a backup every once in a while.

Too bad as it seems Exchange 2007 SP2 actually introduced the ability to backup using just the Windows backup.

Having said which, it is running in a VM so I might just back that up instead.

Comment

It is my impression that the last version of Exchange that you could use on a low-budget server was Exchange 2003 SP2.

Ever since, Exchange 2007 and now Exchange 2010 will require a lot more resources from a server in order to handle the same amount of mailboxes as a plain old 5-year old Exchange 2003 server could handle.

Sure, it's all because of blah blah blah blah, and yes, you could blah blah blah, but at the bottom line, if it's a SOHO server and budget is limited, Exchange 2003 SP2 is still the best option.

Note that having said SOHO, this means there is no need for high availability, no need for complex administration models, no need for built-in archiving, and no need to store massive mailboxes.

On the other hand, such an office might very well get along with hosted solutions and even Google Apps.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

FYI, StorageCraft SHadowProtect server edition 3.3 does seem to work (the logs have been flushed) - will have to try a restore.

You can get a 30 day demo from storagecraft.com for testing

Comment

Do let us know.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

The Database Recovery Management tool does not appear to be available yet (only basic exchange troubleshooting options appear when running the tool) - as you'd expect from a beta.

I could mount a recovered database (created a new DB, then renamed recovered DB to new DB name) but couldn't seem to get any further than that. Will rely on volume restore or VM in meantime.

Comment

How to Backup

Ta For external drives, use either the Time Machine method I indicated or use Chronosync to back up one external drive to another.Or you could always use remote backup using something like Amazon S3 to backup your external drives. So many options

Comment

Working...
                    X