Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Information Store access denied during backup. (Was: Backup exec failed!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information Store access denied during backup. (Was: Backup exec failed!)

Got a client whos Backup exec is failing, they are running MS Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition 64-bit with SP2, and running Backup Exec 11D (Build 7170/SP4) with updates installed, they are running exchange server 2007 sp1 and when ever it tries to backup the MIS (Microsoft Information Store) it fails! i get:

Backup- \\MHMAIL\Microsoft Information Store\Storage Group - Mailbox Store One V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory MH Mailbox Store One and its subdirectories.

Backup- \\MHMAIL\Microsoft Information Store\Storage Group - Mailbox Store Two V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory MH Mailbox Store Two and its subdirectories.

This is starting to drive me crazy!

I've gone through the symantec forums and tried the suggested! anything else?

I tried to ring symantec but u have to PAY to get support!

Re: Backup exec failed! failed! failed! failed!

Look at the credentials that Backup Exec is using for Exchange 2007 SP1 install.

Whilst you resolve the issue, I recommend using NTBACKUP to backup the Exchange 2007 IS.

Comment

I've just checked and the credentials come back as saying successful when testing them.

Comment

In the failed backup job log there should be at least one link to a tech support article related to the failure. Follow that link and read the article. There should also be several error codes in the failed log, you can search the Symantec support site for those errors as well. Also, the BackupExec Administrator's guide is pretty in depth on how to configure it to backup Exchange.

I'm running Exchange 2003 so I can't give you any specific help on your problem.

Comment

Re: Information Store access denied during backup. (Was: Backup exec failed!)

I've renamed your post as per the forum rules, please have another quick read to refresh yourself Itian, thanks
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hello,

http://support.veritas.com/docs/306281
            How to configure Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 backups in Backup Exec 11d and above

If this dosent work...

Create a registry on Exchange:
            HKLM\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\ESE
            Create a new DWORD Value : e2k7_mbox Value=1

Open Backup Exec...Tools-->Options-->Microsoft Exchange
            Check the Check Box : Enable Legacy Mailbox Support and Click OK...
            Open the Job Properties and go to Selection List...Now you will see Microsoft Exchange Mailbox...Try to Expand the Mailbox...If you get access Denied, than their is a Credential Issue....

OR follow the below link
            http://support.veritas.com/docs/305539

Regards
            Dev T

Comment

Hi All,

I run BUExec 11D 7170 (hotfix 37, SP4, HF 62 and HF 63) on a Windows 2003 SP2 Server (x86) trying to back up Exchange 2007 SP1 (Rollup on Windows 2008 64bit SP2

After removing hidden mailboxes in the GAL, making sure ese.dll was the same versions, removing disabled mailbox accounts etc etc...

Backup to disk worked but to tape didn't, I always got the below error.

V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory (Storage Group) and its subdirectories.

This worked for me

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/305539.htm

10/06/2009 11.26am AEST

Spoke too soon...

Backup again failed with the access denied issue... Test backup to tape works fine alone, so I'm going to put the exchange box first on the list to be backed up for my full job tonight and see how it goes.

Keep you posted.

11/06/09 12.14pm AEST

Put exchange to the front of the selection and it all worked!

Now I can continue my user migration.

Roland
              Last edited by GreenTwig; 11th June 2009, 03:14. Reason: I'm fixed!

Comment

Working...
              X