Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Exchange 2007 Servers

Hi Everybody,

we have a main office and 1 branch office in the company and i want to install an exch07 server in the branch office and connect the server to our main office, what are the steps i need to do in order to accomplish this task?

another question is how can i receive mail to one domain and forward the mails to the remote exch07 server in the branch office?

Thanks

Re: 2 Exchange 2007 Servers

How many users per office?
    What network connectivity between them?

IMHO, consider a single big server and Outlook Anywhere / OWA for the branch office users
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thank you for your reply.
      we have 50 users in the branch office, there isn't a DC or exchange server and no connectivity between the sites.

i want to build 1 DC and 1 exchange server.
      eventually i want all the branch office users to be logged in to our domain at the main office.

the connection between the sites will be through firewalls at both ends.

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzius View Post
        thank you for your reply.
        we have 50 users in the branch office, there isn't a DC or exchange server and no connectivity between the sites.

i want to build 1 DC and 1 exchange server.
        eventually i want all the branch office users to be logged in to our domain at the main office.

the connection between the sites will be through firewalls at both ends.
        Ideas anyone?

Comment

Well, even with 50 users, I would still consider Outlook Anywhere to save you the hassle of setting up the inter-server connectiions
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If you are going to have the sites linked then you need to make a decision about where you want the mailboxes. If you need an Exchange at the branch office then you will need a domain controller too. If you build exchange at that site then you won't need to worry about the mail routing because Exchange will sort that automatically.

You seem to mix up what your requirements are. There are few things that we need clarifying:

1. there isn't a DC or exchange server and no connectivity between the sites.
            2. the connection between the sites will be through firewalls at both ends.
            3. i want to install an exch07 server in the branch office and connect the server to our main office
            4. i want all the branch office users to be logged in to our domain at the main office.
            5. i want to build 1 DC and 1 exchange server.

There seems to be a bit of a difference.
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thanks for helping..

What are your recommendation for the topology?

I'm thinking of installing at the site 1 DC and Exchange 2007.
              Maybe a sub domain is the answer to my problems..

There is an option of placing the DC at the branch office and make a connection between the DC's.

what do you think is the best way to connect the branch to my main site?
              i don't want to use outlook anywhere because until 2010 the branch office will have up to 70 employees.

thanks

Comment

I would suggest linking the two sites with a vpn and having your branch connect to your main office.

Central location for backups.
                Better hardware can be allocated to one machine as it's handling both sites mail.
                You can change the way outlook fetches mail at your branch so it only gets header info if you're worried about bandwidth.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by bobloblaw101 View Post
                  I would suggest linking the two sites with a vpn and having your branch connect to your main office.

Central location for backups.
                  Better hardware can be allocated to one machine as it's handling both sites mail.
                  You can change the way outlook fetches mail at your branch so it only gets header info if you're worried about bandwidth.

Just my 2 cents.
                  So you recommend installing 1 DC and connect the users to our main site?

Comment

PDC in your main office, and then a BDC in yor branch.
                    Have your exchange on a machine in your main office.

If your VPN link goes down, email will be down, but the users will still be able to interact with AD, which should allow for a limp mode. This limp mode could include OWA access routed through the internet.

Comment

Working...
                    X