Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating Domain Accounts and Exchange Mailboxes from one domain to another

First post here… be gentle

I currently have two companies sharing one domain and one exchange server. Company A has no IT infrastructure, and shares all of Company B’s. Company B has just been sold, so Company A must establish its own IT infrastructure from scratch.

CompanyB is currently running a 2003 domain with Exchange 2003.

The plan is that CompanyA will have a new server running ESXi with three Windows 2008 guest OS. One will run as the DC and file server, one running as an all-in-one Exchange 2007 box.

All of CompanyA’s users need to be migrated from CompanyB’s 2003 domain, to the 2008 domain, and all 2003 Exchange mailboxes need migrating to the new Exchange 2007 box.

I would be happy migrating the domain users alone, but would like some advice on how to move the mailboxes with the least amount of hassle…

Re: Migrating Domain Accounts and Exchange Mailboxes from one domain to another

Personally I wouldn't bother with the ADMT 3.1 (Active Directory Migration Tool) in this case. I would set up the new domain, create all the users, install Exchange, create mailboxes for all users, set up and configure resources (file and print shares, etc.) and then exmerge the email out of the Exchange 2003 server and import it into the users new mailboxes.

Comment

Thanks for the quicky reply.

I was considering this, and I think it is definately the easiest way I can think of at the moment - I just wasn't sure if there were any problems that I hadn't considered with this method.

Comment

I don't think there's any inherent problems with doing it this way. since you're building new servers you might as well just build a new domain from scratch and transfer only the email data and file data from the old domain. I don't see any point in trying to migrate user accounts and mailboxes from the old to the new. The only thing to be mindful of is if you have files and folders with specific user or group permissions in the old domain you'll want to make sure you create the appropriate user and group permissions in the new domain before transferring the data. Also, have all the users export their Outlook rules and get a copy of their rules, their NK2 files, and Outlook signature files so that you can set them up for them in the new domain as they will have new user profiles in the new domain. Make sure to make note of any Distribution or Security group memberships ans email forwarding or delegation in the old domain so that you can set up the corresponding items in the new domain.
        Last edited by joeqwerty; 16th April 2009, 11:23.

Comment

Working...
        X