Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exchange 2007 remote connect problems (RPC/HTTPS on 2008)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2007 remote connect problems (RPC/HTTPS on 2008)

Hi,

I have a Windows 2008 standard server, with exchange 2007 SP1 installed.
    This server is also the dns and AD server.

I have installed RPC and enabled outlook anywhere on this server.
    Have setup an external address and can access this with webmail.

My problem is that when i try to connect to exchange from an outlook 2007 client outside my network, i get an error about that it can't find the exchange server, and i need to be connected to internet or i need to be connected locally to the exchange server.

I have tried to use NTLM authentication and basic authentication.

Does anybody now what im doing wrong?

Regards
    Thomas B
    Last edited by thomas83; 8th April 2009, 19:01.

Re: Exchange 2007 remote connect problems.

Have you setup any of the Outlook anywhere requirements?

Try this first:
    https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

No, haven't setup anthing else that the standard. Have changed the external urls to my domain.

Wen i run the test from the link you provided me with i get an error on the autodiscover test, but this is because i haven't setup an autodiscover domain.
      We don't use it, we type in everything manually for the moment.

When i run the Microsoft outlook 2003 RPC/HTTP connectivity test i get this error

Testing NSPI Interface on Exchange Mailbox Server An error occured while testing the NSPI Interface.Test Steps Attempting to ping RPC Endpoint 6004 (NSPI Proxy Interface) on server ex.mydomain.no Failed to ping Endpoint Tell me more about this issue and how to resolve itAdditional Details RPC_S_SERVER_UNAVAILABLE error (0x6ba) was thrown by the RPC Runtime

i have checked the registry and the ports are included there, i have telnetet to the server and it worked.

Something wrong i have done somewhere?

Regards,
      Thomas B

Comment

Did you get this bit?

If you are receiving this error on port 6004 and are using Exchange 2007 on Windows Server 2008. Ensure you have Exchange 2007 SP1 RU4 or later installed because a problem with IPv6 can cause DSProxy requests to fail with this error. For more information about this specific issue, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base:950138 You are prompted for your credentials three times and you receive an error message when you use the Outlook Anywhere feature to connect to an Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 1–based server that is running Windows Server 2008
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

When i telnet my server on port 6004 i don't get any error.
          My server has also installed rollup 4 and rollup 7.

Do i have to open up the ports 6000-6004?

When i took the test again it gave me the same error as last time.

Thanks for your help so far

Regards,
          Thomas B

Comment

I forgot one thing.

If we setup up our laptops at the office, join the domain and configure outlook with outlook anywhere it works fine.
            It also works from home with our preconfigured laptops.

Sow im not sure what is wrong actually with the clients we are trying to connect that we don't have preconfigured at our office.

When i try to connect i get the logon screen but can't get any further from there. I have opened the ports 6000-6004 but this didnt help anything.

Regards,

Thomas B

Comment

You don't need to open the ports, it just uses 443 (rpc over https).
              Rollups include all of the previous ones too.

Can you check the settings between the working and non - working clients to see if there is a difference?
              Is the certificate one you created or a purchased one?
              cheers
              Andy

Comment

Re: (Solved) Exchange 2007 remote connect problems.

It now works, after some more researching i figured it out.

But to answer your question also, everything is configured just the same on both the preconfigured computers and the outside computers.

The ssl certificate is bought at godaddy.

I will write down what i did to get it to work sow if other's have the same problem as me the hopefully can figure it out

First i followed some microsoft KB article about the ipv6 problems.
                since i didn't read the comments in the article i didn't now i was inserting the wrong values.

Link to KB article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc671176.aspx
                Make the DWORD 32 bit parameter DisabledComponents with the value 0xffffffff

If you have an single-server scenario like we have, you also have to change the host file located %systemroot%\system32\drivers\hosts
                Here you have to comment out the line that says ::1

for more information: http://www.buit.org/2008/01/04/outlo...s-server-2008/

Thanks for all the help i got

BTW, where can i set the thread as solved?

Regards,
                Thomas Borge
                Last edited by thomas83; 8th April 2009, 19:01.

Comment

There is no solved entry but I will change the Title I think to better reflect what was happening. Congratulations on fixing it and many for posting back the fix as well. Have some rep points
                  cheers
                  Andy

Comment

Go to "Rate this thread" and award it 5 points
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Exchange 2007 remote connect problems (RPC/HTTPS on 200

I too am having the issue of not being able to connect outlook 2003 or 2007 to exchange 2007 on sbs2008.

I am running exchange 2007 sp1 with roll up 7.

I have run numerous tests at https://testexchangeconnectivity.com/ and never seem to get the same results twice. Seems to be different contingent on what machine I am running it from.

I have researched this in depth and have tried to insure I'm not over looking anything silly. Have all the appropriate ports open, outlook anywhere running, RPC over HTTP is installed and working... This just baffles me. All dns names resolve when pinging them from internal or external sources yet the following would lead you to believe they don't. It would also lead you to understand that the certificate is not valid however the certificate is a valid outside generated certificate and DOES have tpaconsulting.com as part of it's make up.

There haven't been any local errors however here are results of the above exchange test... sorry for the poor format:

Attempting full AutoDiscover and RPC/HTTP Logon (if requested)
                      Testing AutoDiscover and/or RPC/HTTP Logon failed. Test Steps
                      Attempting each method of contacting the AutoDiscover Service
                      Failed to contact the AutoDiscover service successfully by any method Test Steps Attempting to test potential AutoDiscover URL https://tpaconsulting.com/AutoDiscover/AutoDiscover.xml Failed testing this potential AutoDiscover URL Test Steps Attempting to Resolve the host name tpaconsulting.com in DNS.
                      Host successfully Resolved
                      Additional Details
                      IP(s) returned: 173.9.204.188
                      Testing TCP Port 443 on host tpaconsulting.com to ensure it is listening/open.
                      The port was opened successfully. Testing SSLCertificate for validity.
                      The SSLCertificate failed one or more certificate validation checks.

The name on the certificate does not match the name tpaconsulting.com Attempting to test potential AutoDiscover URL https://autodiscover.tpaconsulting.c...toDiscover.xml
                      Failed testing this potential AutoDiscover URL Attempting to Resolve the host name autodiscover.tpaconsulting.com in DNS.
                      The Host could not be resolved.
                      Additional Details Host autodiscover.tpaconsulting.com could not be resolved in DNS Exception Details: Message: No such host is known Type: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException Stack Trace: at System.Net.Dns.GetAddrInfo(String name) at System.Net.Dns.InternalGetHostByName(String hostName, Boolean includeIPv6) at System.Net.Dns.GetHostAddresses(String hostNameOrAddress) at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Tests.ResolveHostTe st.PerformTestReally() Attempting to contact the AutoDiscover service using the HTTP redirect method.
                      Failed to contact AutoDiscover using the HTTP Redirect method
                      Attempting to Resolve the host name autodiscover.tpaconsulting.com in DNS.
                      The Host could not be resolved. Additional Details
                      Host autodiscover.tpaconsulting.com could not be resolved in DNS Exception Details: Message: No such host is known Type: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException Stack Trace: at System.Net.Dns.GetAddrInfo(String name) at System.Net.Dns.InternalGetHostByName(String hostName, Boolean includeIPv6) at System.Net.Dns.GetHostAddresses(String hostNameOrAddress) at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Tests.ResolveHostTe st.PerformTestReally() Attempting to contact the AutoDiscover service using the DNS SRV redirect method.
                      Failed to contact AutoDiscover using the DNS SRV redirect method. Attempting to locate SRV record _autodiscover._tcp.tpaconsulting.com in DNS.
                      Failed to find AutoDiscover SRV record in DNS.

I might add that when I actually try to set up a connection with an outlook 2007 client everything does look to resolve and it comes back asking for the u/n and p/w which it gets stuck on at that point.

Also, I CAN get to the exchange OWA page inside and outside without issue.

Could really use some insight here.

Thanks.
                      Last edited by hdokes; 4th May 2009, 16:57.

Comment

Ok.. making some progress but still some headaches. Had identified that of the two name services servicing the particular domain, one of them had a stale A record in the cache and kept reporting the incorrect IP address. Got over that hurdle and passed a whole lot more of the tests under the testexchange link.

Here's where I am at:

After failing the Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 RPC/HTTP Connectivity Test because it was trying to ping the local domain instead of the live domain, I made the change recommended in the registry by Microsoft at this link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../dd439392.aspx.

I then rebooted the computer and reran that particular test and the test passed with flying colors. A second attempt to run the same test minutes later had it failing again. Went back to the registry settings and they had reverted back to the local domain references for the ports 6001,2, and 4. Changed them back... rebooted... and passed the test again with flying colors... immediately did a 2nd test and it to passed. Waited again for several minutes and performed the test again... failure. Checked the registry and again the entries reverted back.

In the mean time, while the above test applies to outlook 2003 I need to be able to complete the Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Autodiscover Connectivity Test as well for both outlook 2007 and entourage 2008. This test, while getting closer and closer to the end keeps failing as well with this message:................. update.... without changing anything this test has now passed twice on two different external networks and machines. Having passed however... I still can't connect via outlook 2007 or 2203.

Am ready to provide any information other than what I have to assist in a solution.

Comment

Annnnnnnnnnnd.... again... without changing anything... the tests fail again.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

It should be noted that the RPC/HTTP settings for default ports/domain again has reverted back to it's original... so the MS tech tip to alter these settings as referenced below is fellatious.

Comment

Working...
                          X