Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another Outlook Anywhere Problem

OK,
    We are a single site company (only about 500 mailboxes) and a single Exchange Server.

Had Exchange 2003 working with OWA and Outlook over HTTP (either client - Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 worked).

Just completed a transition to Exchange 2007 - Still a single site and single server (Exch2003 is still running; however, all routing groups are removed between the two).

I have a Go Daddy SSL Cert to mail.domain.com and it works perfectly with no SSL errors when connecting to mail.domain.com/owa; both, internally and externally.

However, I cannot get any of the Outlook Clients that used to be able to connect to connect via the Exchange 2007 Outlook Anywhere feature and I'm past the pulling out all my hair part - I'm now pulling out brain matter.

Can anybody at all give me a hand in getting this to work?

Re: Yet another Outlook Anywhere Problem

Are you using Windows Server 2003 or 2008?

I know with 2003 you still have to install RPC Proxy for RPC (or Outlook Anywhere to work).

Do you have a RPC folder/site in IIS? If not go to Windows Setup, under networking tools select RPC Proxy and install it. Exchange 2007 should be automatically configured to work with it then.

Also what errors do you see in the event viewer?
    Do you have outlook anywhere enabled or disabled in the Exchange Console?

Comment

Originally posted by LJKelley View Post
      Are you using Windows Server 2003 or 2008?
      Windows Server 2003

I know with 2003 you still have to install RPC Proxy for RPC (or Outlook Anywhere to work).
      Installed on the server

Do you have a RPC folder/site in IIS?
      Sure do.
      If not go to Windows Setup, under networking tools select RPC Proxy and install it. Exchange 2007 should be automatically configured to work with it then.
      But But But it don't

Also what errors do you see in the event viewer?
      None really
      Do you have outlook anywhere enabled or disabled in the Exchange Console?
      Enabled

When I go to https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/
      I come up with everthing working until it gets to the

Attempting to ping RPC Endpoint 6001 (Exchange Information Store) on server mail.domain.com
      Failed to ping Endpoint

Additional Details
      RPC_S_SERVER_UNAVAILABLE error (0x6ba) was thrown by the RPC Runtime

Comment

Ok, try to disable then enable Outlook Anywhere. Or even install and uninstall RPC.

Also another issue is if your external domain is not the same as your internal. For example is mail.domain.com also the name of that server in AD? If not, which could be the issue since you transitionted, you need to enter mail.domain.com as your RPC SSL Proxy, but also enter the internal domain if its different as the exchange server in Outlook. You may also need to setup these hosts in the registry. There are some good articles on it for Exchange 2003 which was more difficult to setup if you had a single exchange server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../dd439392.aspx

That talks about ports 6001,6002,6004 which need to configured in the registry along with the netbios, fqdn of the exchange server and I would add mail.domain.com your external address for good messure.

It also addresses the error you got.

Comment

I've got everything to pass with going to https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

However, I just can't get OL (in this case OL2003) to connect

No error messages that I can see

Comment

Start -> Run

outlook.exe /rpcdiag

And post here what you see there...

It should give you some info...

Dis you set up proper hostname in Exchange outlook anywhere setting and set in IIS RPC security settings to ignore or accept client certificate?

Comment

Originally posted by gregaSLO View Post
              Start -> Run

outlook.exe /rpcdiag

And post here what you see there...
              Right now I'm working internally (w\OL07) and it shows I'm connecting via IP and not HTTP(s)

Originally posted by gregaSLO View Post
              Dis you set up proper hostname in Exchange outlook anywhere setting and set in IIS RPC security settings to ignore or accept client certificate?
              I belive I have that setup right

Comment

Please post output of rpcdiag from outside... Maybe it will tell us something...

Comment

It opens up, allows the logon, then of course it pops up connection status window. It goes through the motions showing all of the correct server hanes (our mail server (netbios and fqdn) and same with domain controllers).

I never see it go to mail.company.com; however, that doesn't bother me too much.

Wondering if it's the autodiscover

Comment

If the Test Exchange Connectivity site works then Outlook should work. It is doing the same thing. Did you do anything like enable it to ignore the trust status of the SSL certificate, or perhaps are using a different authentication type?
                    If you are using Outlook 2003 then autodiscover has nothing to do with it, as Outlook 2003 doesn't use it.

Simon.
                    --
                    Simon Butler
                    Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                    More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                    Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                    In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Oh by the way, I have this resolved. IPv6 Problems - Uninstalled it and all worked fine

Comment

Have you tried implementing a unified messaging cert? We had a similar issue and once autodiscovery worked all services could be found by the clients both inside and outside the organization.

Comment

Working...
                        X