Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mount mailbox database to another exchange organisation

Hello everyone!

I have a Win 2008 domain controller, on which is installed Exchange 2007. The domain controller is canceled due to electric shock and I do not have backup. I can access the folder where the mailbox database but can not start exchange because the Domain can not start. Is there a possibility to export mails or maunt database to another Exchange organization (domain)

Re: mount mailbox database to another exchange organisation

Maybe recreate domain and try...

But it has to be same name, same passwords for admin accounts...

Maybe it will work for you, but I doubt it...

And maybe you will get more 100% answers from experts around here

Comment

Originally posted by snakebl View Post
      Hello everyone!

I have a Win 2008 domain controller, on which is installed Exchange 2007. The domain controller is canceled due to electric shock and I do not have backup. I can access the folder where the mailbox database but can not start exchange because the Domain can not start. Is there a possibility to export mails or maunt database to another Exchange organization (domain)
      If you have the Exchange database and log files you should be able to. Exchange 2007 allows database portability within the same organisation.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb123954.aspx

Have you still got an active DC in the domain?

Comment

AFAIK, this is the method used tp reinstall your Exchange server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb124275.aspx

Others can maybe confirm this is relevant in this case seeing that no other Exhange servers now exist.

Comment

He has DC and exchange on same machine...

So organisation does not exist anymore as far as I understand...

There is no other DCs probably...

Comment

Originally posted by gregaSLO View Post
            He has DC and exchange on same machine...

So organisation does not exist anymore as far as I understand...

There is no other DCs probably...
            It woud be good if snakebl can confirm if another DC, GC and DNS exists.

Edit: Also, should none exists and there is an issue mounting the database, there is software that can extract information from the mailbox store into PSTs, so all is not lost. Will research into the name of the one I used. If you have Outlook users, see if emails are also cached. If you don't have another DC, you can export their Outlook to a PST, so it's safe.
            Last edited by Virtual; 16th March 2009, 15:15.

Comment

Ontrack's PowerControls is the software -- not cheap, but very effective!
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                It woud be good if snakebl can confirm if another DC, GC and DNS exists.

Edit: Also, should none exists and there is an issue mounting the database, there is software that can extract information from the mailbox store into PSTs, so all is not lost. Will research into the name of the one I used. If you have Outlook users, see if emails are also cached. If you don't have another DC, you can export their Outlook to a PST, so it's safe.

Hi Virtual,

I do not have nothing of it active, it was the only DC (all contained on a single server). I read about portability but that only valid when the same organization .

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                  AFAIK, this is the method used tp reinstall your Exchange server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb124275.aspx

Others can maybe confirm this is relevant in this case seeing that no other Exhange servers now exist.
                  I saw this link, this can be applied within the same exchange organization .

Comment

I read a lot about this, and most of recovery operation is possible when you already have an active DC and other services. With me this is not the case, I have only the mailbox database and the logs in folder, and I need a way to get the mails from it. I have been working with the Exchange 2007 server for a long time and I have experienced many situations but not like this. I know that everything would be easy if there was a backup, but it was not up to me but to the client

Comment

Try with tool Ossian provided OR try to set up all new DC and exchange and use same name same passwords and same domain name and maybe just maybe it would mount...

You can copy log and database from old server to new one and try it...

If wont work, try with tool or export mailboxes in PST (from clients) and then re-import them into new mailboxes...

Report back if you find other solution or if anything from here works...

Good luck!

Comment

As you have to rebuild anyway, you may as well reinstall the domain and Exchange. Make sure all naming conventions are the same. Domain, server, user accounts etc. It may be that you create another database initially and then look in to restoring the original database to the recovery group. There is a wizard for that purpose.

It may be a case of being creative with eseutil and permissions of the database. I have managed the same with Exchange 2003 before.

Should it fail, you then just need to extract the mailbox to PSTs and then open them for users, so they can acces their old emails. You could use this method to copy them to the current mailbox.

Edit: I used this.

http://downloads.nucleusdatarecovery...wnload-edb.php

You can use a trial version for free. If that extracts all your mailboxes ok, you can then purchase it and save them to a HDD.
                        Last edited by Virtual; 17th March 2009, 09:53.

Comment

Working...
                        X