No announcement yet.

FSMO roles needed for Exchange 2007 DR?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSMO roles needed for Exchange 2007 DR?

We're planning a DR failover test for an Exchange 2007 Dev/Test mail organization. The DR site will have dedicated CAS, HT, and Mailbox servers along with 1 Active Directory Global Catalog server (no FSMO roles). My question is, once the primary site is shut down and the Exchane DB's are mounted to the DR mailbox server will we it be necessary for us to seize any of the domain FSMO roles on our DR Global Catalog server? Will not having these FSMO roles availble at DR cause any Exchange problems?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Re: FSMO roles needed for Exchange 2007 DR?

Originally posted by busyadmin View Post
    We're planning a DR failover test for an Exchange 2007 Dev/Test mail organization. The DR site will have dedicated CAS, HT, and Mailbox servers along with 1 Active Directory Global Catalog server (no FSMO roles). My question is, once the primary site is shut down and the Exchane DB's are mounted to the DR mailbox server will we it be necessary for us to seize any of the domain FSMO roles on our DR Global Catalog server? Will not having these FSMO roles availble at DR cause any Exchange problems?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    It would depend on the amount of downtime and the extent of the issue but I would recommend transferring the FSMO roles to the Disaster Site and then power off the Primary. If you tested seizing roles, you would have to reinstall the DC FSMO role holders on the primary site and clean metadata, DNS and AD Sites and Services.

They key service would be the PDC emulator to always seize first.

Comment

Virtual,

Thanks for the reply. I realize that with out the FMSO roles being online the GC at the DR site will be spitting out replication errors along with others but I don't see how that would effect Exchage's ability to function. I understand that when setting up the ideal environment you'd want to seize the fsmo roles but for a short term DR setting I just want to ensure that no Exchange funtionality will be impacted.

Hopefully that makes since.

Comment

Originally posted by busyadmin View Post
        Virtual,

Thanks for the reply. I realize that with out the FMSO roles being online the GC at the DR site will be spitting out replication errors along with others but I don't see how that would effect Exchage's ability to function. I understand that when setting up the ideal environment you'd want to seize the fsmo roles but for a short term DR setting I just want to ensure that no Exchange funtionality will be impacted.

Hopefully that makes since.
        It does. The other day, I rebooted the main DC with all 5 FSMO roles and tried to logon to the Exchange server and couldn't, even though I had another DC on the domain.

I did it of hours and I must admit, I didn't test the Outlook clients.

AFAIK, to a certain extent, things should still function. It will also depend on the DCs that Exchange points to. I reckon that should I have left the main DC off, I may eventually have been able to logon to the Exchange server. It pehaps just the fact it had just happened and was still looking at that DC.

You will also also need ot check the SPNs on the Exchange server.

Comment

Working...
        X