Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New domain migration whilst maintaining Exchange Org name

This certainly is a great thread,

Very similar to our current scenario, much smaller number of users though.

Apologies for the hijack, I thought I would ask in here instead of doing a new thread, however, if anyone thinks I should I would be more than happy to undertake it,

What would happen if you are building a new domain for AD however your exchange domain renames the same? Would you join your new box to the current AD domain, carry everything out then join it to the new domain?

Thanks for any input,

Regards,

G.

Re: Transitioning Exchange 2003 to 2007

Originally posted by gabi_cavaller View Post
    This certainly is a great thread,

Very similar to our current scenario, much smaller number of users though.

Apologies for the hijack, I thought I would ask in here instead of doing a new thread, however, if anyone thinks I should I would be more than happy to undertake it,

What would happen if you are building a new domain for AD however your exchange domain renames the same? Would you join your new box to the current AD domain, carry everything out then join it to the new domain?

Thanks for any input,

Regards,

G.
    Your right, it does need to be another thread. Anything added to a post that draws attention away from the original person who posted is deemed as a hijack. You may find a moderator will move it for you.

With regards to your question, am I right in saying that you are building a new DC for a new domain or new child domain or domain tree in an existing forest?
    Last edited by Virtual; 2nd March 2009, 14:46. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Re: Transitioning Exchange 2003 to 2007

Reported for splitting asunder
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Exchange 2007 migration from 2003 on a new domain.

Hi there,

My scenario is quite similar to this one,

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=33389

I have started a new thread accordingly thus not hijacking theirs,

Background,

Currently have a single 2003 exchange server, supporting a small team of 10 employees.

We are upgrading the network and implementing a new AD structure.

2008 DC's with a 2008 domain level will be in place and thus, taking the opportunity to upgrade to exchange 2007.

As the exchange server will be on a new domain and not in the existing domain as in the thread outlined before, what's the best procedure to keep the same settings and move the mailboxes around including public folders?

Would it be to add the 2007 box in the current domain, move everything over using the "swing procedure" then join the 2007 box to the new domain?

In regards to this question by Virtual "With regards to your question, am I right in saying that you are building a new DC for a new domain or new child domain or domain tree i nan existing forest?"

It will be a completely new domain. The users will be on the same site as the exchange server.

Please advice,

Any information or assistance incredibly appreciated.

Comment

Re: New domain migration whilst maintaining Exchange Org name

Done.
          gabi_cavaller, Virtual's advice is correct. Would be good for you to post a little more about your situation as well.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

It's all mixed now.....

Hopefully the description above should be clearish

Thanks again in advanced,

G

Comment

Another point as well, Exchange will change attributes in AD in order to work, so adding the Exchange 2007 server to the current domain and then moving it to the new one probably won't be an option. Exchange 2007 will add new attributes to AD and of course stores its data in AD, so you will then still need to find a way of transferring that to the new domain.

It sound to me that you could consider adding the Windows 2008 servers as DCs in the existing domain and upgrade to Windows 2008 that way and then transition to Exchange 2007, depending on your current OS version.
              Last edited by Virtual; 2nd March 2009, 14:55.

Comment

The issue is the existing domain OU's and so on is a real nightmare, including permissions, the other issue is that everything is pretty much on a single server.

The project at hand is more complex than discussed above, but decided to keep it simple on this thread

The actual exchange domain will stay the same it's simple the AD domain that will change

Comment

The issue is the existing domain OU's and so on is a real nightmare, including permissions, the other issue is that everything is pretty much on a single server.

The project at hand is more complex than discussed above, but decided to keep it simple on this thread

The actual exchange domain will stay the same it's simple the AD domain that will change
                  I see. If I was you, I would look in to moving the Exchange organisation to the new domain. Exchange relies on AD and if it is messy or unmanageable, it doesn't bode well for its health.

Of course, this is the pupose of your thread. I am unfamiliar territory with moving an Exchange organisation to another domain but will watch that aspect of the thread with interest.

You are no doubt having a separate forest, so you would need to setup a forest Trust between the two forests and then migrate across or alternatively, set up the new forest as new Exchange organisation with new objects.

Comment

Exchange is virtually fully dependant on AD, thus it's crucial that this is done properly before implementing it, however, without a doubt sometimes some things are missed out, hence posting on here.

I look forward to viewing peoples thoughts and possible solutions,

If you have any queries, please let me know,

Thanks for all your input Virtual, if you need more info, or any questions, give me a shout

Kind regards,

G.
                    Last edited by gabi_cavaller; 2nd March 2009, 15:17.

Comment

I think I will do the following;

Backup to PST all users.
                      Create new 2008 domain,
                      Install exchange 2007 on member server,
                      Apply all relevant settings,
                      Upload PST files

Incredibly simplified, but cannot find an alternative nice solution,

The swing approach is great for a same domain environment,

Excellent stuff,

G.

Comment

I think I will do the following;

Backup to PST all users.
                        Create new 2008 domain,
                        Install exchange 2007 on member server,
                        Apply all relevant settings,
                        Upload PST files

Incredibly simplified, but cannot find an alternative nice solution,

The swing approach is great for a same domain environment,

Excellent stuff,

G.
                        Sounds like an ok plan. There are only 10 employees, so will be an easy move. Let us know how you get on.

Comment

Will make notes,

Need to ensure activeSync and also the public folders work too,

Need to have a play, hopefully will get the toys in 10 days time,

Will make a daily log,

Lets see if the 1650's boot up from USB tomorrow so I can try and install 2008 from an ISO, if not, PXE, but it's a pain

Comment

I am sure you will enjoy the experience. Your at the cutting edge rolling out Windows 2008 Server. Make sure you have a play with NAP as well amongst many other roles/features available. Good luck!

Comment

excellent,

servers ordered,

should be here in a week,

will create everything on test network and make notes,

thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X