A problem with MS Exchange 2007 Edge Attachment Filtering Agent exception

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A problem with MS Exchange 2007 Edge Attachment Filtering Agent exception

I have a problem to configure the Attachment Filtering exception for the dedicated external IP on the Exchange 2007 Edge server (SP1 & RU6)
    I went through the steps:

1. Create a new SMTP Receive connector for the required external IP Address (Name: AllowAttachments1).
    2. Check in the Exchange Transport Log that all inbound emails from this external IP are received with “AllowAttachments1” connector.
    3. Configure the Exchange 2007 Attachment Filtering Agent to not filter the messages from “AllowAttachments1” connector.
    Set-AttachmentFilterListConfig -Action Reject -ExceptionConnectors <GUID for “AllowAttachments1” >
    4. Check Transport Agents and Attachment Filtering Agent configuration
    5. Test the inbound email with attached “test.exe” file.
    My test was not successful. The “test.exe” file was replaced by a text message.
    I have checked that the issue is related only to Attachment Filtering Agent. When I disabled the Attachment Filtering Agent – all types attachments go through, no problem. There not problem to do others reconfigurations on the Attachment Filtering Agent like change the AdminMessage or change the Action from “Strip” to “Reject” etc. These changes were start working right away without restarting the Exchange Transport service or server.
    In the any way to make the Exception configuration work I tried to restart both Exchange Transport service and Edge server for a few times – did not help.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Joseph

Re: A problem with MS Exchange 2007 Edge Attachment Filtering Agent exception

I have an update from the Microsoft source:

"This is, unfortunately, a bug. Although the concept of exception connectors was originally spec’d for the feature and the configuration pieces were put in place, the decision was made to remove it. Unfortunately, the configuration settings still exist in the code; we just don’t honor them."

Regards,

Joseph

Comment

Re: A problem with MS Exchange 2007 Edge Attachment Filtering Agent exception

This one should help. It looks like you have to apply the Update Rollup 8 for Exchange 2007 Service Pack 1.

Edge Attachment Filtering does not honor the ExceptionConnectors value in Exchange Server 2007
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960354

Comment

Working...
      X