Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transitioning Exchange 2003 to 2007

Hi Everyone.

Beginners question here. I'm planning to transition our existing ex2003 to 2007.

Our network is small and we only have about 200 mailboxes. Lately the computer started to play up. We decided maybe it was time to upgrade the hardware and migrate to exchange 2007 before it dies entirely.

Our exchange server is running server 2003 SP2. Since the processor isn't 64Bit, We would like to install server 2008 on and exchange 2007 on a new machine.

How difficult is it to move the settings and the mailboxes to the new machine?

I have read the tutorials, but they all tell you how to install exchange 2007 on the same machine then move the mailboxes to it.

I'll appreciate any guide you can give me

Re: Transitioning Exchange 2003 to 2007

I went through this transition myself 4-5 months ago. If you search the forum and look to the bottom of this thread, you should find articles related to the transition.

A good starting point is reading this.
    http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...007-Part1.html

The main issues I had was with my antivirus software blocking some of the Public folder replicas being fully moved to Exchange 2007. The rest was making sure I took my time and reading articles like the above. When you move mailboxes, if your clients are using Outlook clients and the old server is still online, they will automatically be pointed at the new mailbox location on the new server.
    Last edited by Virtual; 23rd February 2009, 11:25.

Comment

Another common issue is having a smarthost on the SMTP virtual server as this causes mailflow issues between the two.

Are you planning on upgrading the domain to 2008 and having a separate server running Exchange 07?
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thanks for the link virtual, very good tutorial. So basically i need to

1.Make sure the old exchange is set to native mode.
        2. Install Server 2003 / 2008 64bit on a new machine.
        3. Prep, update and install the necessary components.
        4. Join it to the the same Domain the old exchange is joined to.
        5. Install Exchange 2007

During the installation, if my steps are correct, exchange 2007 setup will see my old 2003 server and grab the settings from there? ( Mailflow etc).

Are these steps correct or am i missing something?

And how do i avoid the Smart Host issues on the SMTP Andy?

Thanks in advance guys.

Comment

Originally posted by dodes47 View Post
          Thanks for the link virtual, very good tutorial. So basically i need to

1.Make sure the old exchange is set to native mode.
          2. Install Server 2003 / 2008 64bit on a new machine.
          3. Prep, update and install the necessary components.
          4. Join it to the the same Domain the old exchange is joined to.
          5. Install Exchange 2007

During the installation, if my steps are correct, exchange 2007 setup will see my old 2003 server and grab the settings from there? ( Mailflow etc).

Are these steps correct or am i missing something?

Thanks in advance guys.
          That's certainly right for the initial installation. There are further steps to then move mailboxes, RUS, Public Folder Replicas, Public Folder hierarchy etc.

Also, if you just have the one domain, the Exchange Insall disk will prep the domain for you. Also, any prerequisites that aren't met will also be flagged up, so you can remediate them before the setup starts.

You will be given the choise during setup to join to the existing Exchange organisation and appropriate Exchange 2003-2007 connectors will be automatically be installed, so mail flow, rules and so on will automatically occur between Exchange 2003 and 2007.

Here is a link regarding my transition that should be of interest to you. The good thing about the transition in a gradual process is that you can probably move things back if required.

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=26648
          Last edited by Virtual; 23rd February 2009, 16:14.

Comment

Check your SMTP virtual server for a smarthost entry, something like:
            ESM, Server name, protocols, SMTP, Default SMTP Virtual Server (properties), Delivery Tab and the smarthost entry. It should be blank generally.
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

Excellent!

I'm in the process of doing all these now.
              Will keep u guys posted

Thanks again everyone

Comment

Ok, most of it done.

Exchange 2007 setup completed and it has all the legacy mailboxes in the mailbox store. I'm encountering a problem though.

I read through the tutorial and found this paragraph.

"So will any users with a mailbox on my Exchange 2000 or 2003 Server still be able to use OWA, Exchange ActiveSync or Outlook AnyWhere (formerly known as RPC over HTTP) to access their mailbox? Yes this will work just fine since the Client Access Server is backward compatible and will redirect the clients to the respective legacy mailboxes on the Exchange 2000 or 2003 server."

After i pointed the internet client to the new 2007 access server. the OWA login screen opens correctly. but when a user tries to log in, it says that no mailbox is found on this server. Do i have to move all the mailboxes first so they can access it?

Comment

It will be worth testing on on of the legacy mailboxes. Until you move the mailbox, te legacy mailbox will remain on the old Exchange server. Process can be done in bulk or you can do one at a time. I believe the move only carries it out 5 mailboxes silumtaneously, or something like that.

Right click one of the mailboxes on the Exchange 2007 server and see what choices it gives you.

Also, can't remember the exact stage of moving Public Folder replicas but just double check that as well.

Glad it has gone ok for you.

Comment

Thanks virtual

There's still a lot more that i have to do though

Another problem i noticed is with the outlook clients. I tested my own mailbox (POP3) and moved it to the new exchange server. When i ran outlook , it keeps on asking for a username and password, it's not accepting mine. When i did a test account settings, everything was ticked except for log on to incoming mail server.

Is there another setting somewhere in the new exchange server i have to play with? Perhaps permissions?

Thanks for your help, i really appreciate it.

Comment

Apologies for the incredulity but why on earth are you using POP3 with Exchange?

In regards to the problem, POP3 is disabled by default on Ex07.
                      http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb124934.aspx
                      cheers
                      Andy

Comment

LoL
                        I knew you'd say that

You see, we're in the process of converting the mailboxes to exchange. And the boss still uses the pop3 account just cause he backs them up to Pst files and familiar with it already.

Comment

Is there another setting somewhere in the new exchange server i have to play with? Perhaps permissions?

Thanks for your help, i really appreciate it.
                          The only issue I had with authentication was because the server I installed Exchange 2007 on used to be a DC. The SPNs were pointing at itself for DC and GC.

http://windowsitpro.com/article/arti...ns-part-1.html

Comment

Working...
                          X