X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OWA from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007

Hi Guys...

What am I missing?

Currently have a new Exchange 2007 box using HTTPS OWA and an old Exchange 2003 box running HTTP OWA (unsecured)

Idea is to migrate mailboxes to Exchange 2007 shortly but before I do that I need to ensure the OWA is setup correctly...

Navigating to: https://localhost/owa gives me the OWA window... but I cant connect from outside the network... yet can access the HTTP (Exchange 2k3 box) just fine ...

I dont think its a firewall issue as surely neither would work otherwise?

Any suggestions would be helpful

Re: OWA from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007

Are you using a 3rd Party SSL cert. or Self signed/one from your own CA?

Also, how are the external user's accessing it? Via VPN or the internet? What address do they therefore use outside and is that registered?

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
      Are you using a 3rd Party SSL cert. or Self signed/one from your own CA?

Also, how are the external user's accessing it? Via VPN or the internet? What address do they therefore use outside and is that registered?
      3rd party SSL cert is used from Thawte...

External users access existing OWA using http:\\mail.*DOMAIN*\exchange via the internet which is registered...

New OWA should be https:\\mail*DOMAIN*\OWA ... works fine internally just not externally so is this a registration problem perhaps?

Comment

May not be. It sounds as if it is set up correctly.

It may be that you need to create a firewall rule, so that the traffic for the OWA traffic goes to the Exchange 2007 server. However, I'm not sure whether the request when it hits your firewall external IP will see it as Exchange/OWA or just the domain name and then the firewall has a rule setup that redirects that domain name to the Exchange server.

Comment

May not be. It sounds as if it is set up correctly.

It may be that you need to create a firewall rule, so that the traffic for the OWA traffic goes to the Exchange 2007 server. However, I'm not sure whether the request when it hits your firewall external IP will see it as Exchange/OWA or just the domain name and then the firewall has a rule setup that redirects that domain name to the Exchange server.
          mail.domain-name.org is registered to an external IP address so if it was a firewall rule then it would affect both mail servers not just the new exchange box?

I swear I have missed something here so that external requests for OWA cant 'see' the new exchange box... its driving me mad as this is holding up the migration!

Comment

When they hit the firewall, how does the firewall decide the server to redirect the traffic to?

Comment

When they hit the firewall, how does the firewall decide the server to redirect the traffic to?
              Its using an ISA 2004 server behind the router... I'm wondering if the traffic rule needs adding to the firewall but I dont know much ISA server and our network guy is off...

If I could find an existing rule for the old exchange server then I could either modify it or create a new one using it as an example...

Comment

I see. ISA will have a rule set there for Exchange, so that will be the issue. I am not sure myself with ISA 2004.

This may help.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc713317.aspx

It mentions a Mail Server Publishing wizard, so hopefully it will be straight forward.

Not sure how it is with Exchange 2003 but hopefully the article will help you find the existing rule for Exchange.
                Last edited by Virtual; 16th February 2009, 21:08.

Comment

I see. ISA will have a rule set there for Exchange, so that will be the issue. I am not sure myself with ISA 2004.

This may help.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc713317.aspx

It mentions a Mail Server Publishing wizard, so hopefully it will be straight forward.

Not sure how it is with Exchange 2003 but hopefully the article will help you find the existing rule for Exchange.
                  Thanks for your help - I will give it a try tommorrow and let you know how it goes...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr OCD View Post
                    Thanks for your help - I will give it a try tommorrow and let you know how it goes...
                    Finger's crossed for you. Look forward to hearing back.

Comment

Working...
                    X