Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exchange on a different site

HEllo,

Hopefully someone can help me with the following problem.

Situation:

1 exchange 2007 (non cluster) in France, sitename within AD " france" and 1 domain controller.

VMware and SAN in the netherlands, all other domain related machines run there also.

As i'm implementing citrix throughout the organisation, i want to migrate the Exchange to NL.

I setup a new exchange server and just installed the mailbox role on it, this all goes very well. I migrated a testmailbox to this server and even that went ok.

So far, so good...

But, when i login as the client, he can open the mailbox but he cannot send any email, with a bit of investigation, it seems it cannot find its hub transport within it's own site.

Well, this is correct, the hub transport is within a differen site. If i try to install this role, it tells me it cannot do so because the needed domain controller is not in the same site and i don't get an option to change the domain controller at all.

Does someone has any idea how to migrate my exchange server to the new site without going down for several days (mail DB is 15GB) ?

Thank you so much for your help,

Devon

Re: exchange on a different site

Every mailbox server needs a hub transport within the same AD site. That is one of the requirements of Exchange 2007.
    You also need AD servers with the GC role and I would say you need a minimum of 2 to ensure redundancy.
    You can install the HT role on a mailbox server as long as it isn't clustered.
    CAS too, which you will likely need as well.

EDIT: Make sure the primary DNS server is the local sites GC and check name resolution. Does DCDiag run ok in that site?
    Can you post the actual error messages?
    Last edited by AndyJG247; 10th February 2009, 16:16.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your response,

a few things i discovered after your reply, the DNS server was not set as primary, so i changed that.

Second, how stupid, i ran the DCDIAG and discovered that it was complaining about the fact that the Domain Controller was not in the Domain Controller OU but in another created OU. Placed the Domain Controller in the default OU and DCDIAG did not give me an error now.

Third, the error is as followed, but maybe when i try it again right now, it is fine.

[2/10/2009 11:47:53 AM] [1] [ERROR] Setup cannot use domain controller 'domainC1.ineas.network' because it belongs to Active Directory site 'France'. Setup must use a domain controller in the same site as this computer (Netherlands).

Ok, you state that i need a hub in every site were i install exchange, this i can follow and as it shows me the hard way, this is needed.

But does this not mean i can fully install exchange on this site with all of it's roles and after that, simply migrate the mailboxes to the new server?

After migration is completed and i turn of the old exchange, do i ran into any problem?

Can i uninstall the old exchange after that without getting into problems with the new mailflow?

Thanks in advance for helping me!

Harry

Comment

To All,

After changing my DNS and placing the DC into the default domain controller OU (and waited after dinner) i still can't install those roles, still getting the same error.

Might it be possible that i have to run the pre-requised from microsoft to have my domain ready for exchange 2007?

I think not, because i already did that when i implemented my other exchange 2007 on a different site, but may be i'm wrong here.

Thanks again for all your help!

Devon

Comment

Can't you point your primary DNS to a DC within the netherlands AD site?

I believe you need to end up with

France
          DC1 (GC)
          DC2 (GC)
          Exchange Hub Transport
          Exchange Mailbox
          Exchange CAS

Netherlands
          DC1 (GC)
          DC2 (GC)
          Exchange Hub Transport
          Exchange Mailbox
          Exchange CAS

The exchange roles can be on the same box (unless clustered where you could have CAS/HT shared.

You need to prepare domains so if france and netherland sites are in different domains then yes but in your case I think you state you already have a MB server there so it must be prepared.
          cheers
          Andy

Comment

HEllo Andy,

I have domain controllers on all my sites and the new exchange server is looking at one of them for DNS, So on this part i don't see a problem.

They only difference between the two servers is that each of them are suited in there own site, it is all one big domain (no childs) so i should not have to prepare the domain again right?

Thanks so much for you help,.

Harry

Comment

If it is one domain then no, you are correct.

The HT server you are trying to install has it's IP address within the scope assigned to the Netherlands site therefore you need to make its primary DNS the Netherlands Global Catalog (just to confirm it works).

From reading this through again I would confirm the new Exchange server is defintiely on an IP within the Netherlands subnet, make sure its primary DNS is a GC within the Netherlands and then try and install the CAS and HT roles on this.

cheers
              cheers
              Andy

Comment

Hi Andy,

The new exchange is within the netherlands IP range and both the primary and the secondary DNS are both also within the netherlands range.

I tried it again but no luck, it still looks at the france DC.

Is there any place where we can adjust this?

Thanks for your help Andy!!

Devon,

Comment

Is "domainC1.ineas.network" the server in France or Netherlands?
                  cheers
                  Andy

Comment

Hi Andy,

Sorry for not getting back to you as fast as i wanted too.
                    I solved it by running the setup not through the wizzard but through the console and specify a domain controller.

Another Question,

Currently migrating all the mailboxes to the new server in the Netherlands.
                    But this is part one of the migration, once finished i want to remove the exchange server in france, what is the best option to do this?

I was thinking just un-installing exchange on the france server and configure the NL server as primary exchange server but i don't know if this would be the correct way to go.

Thanks in advance,

Devon

Comment

Glad you sorted it, I would make sure you have all PF's migrated (if using them) and make sure your MX records are pointing to the new server (with a working receive connector).
                      When you try and uninstall the wizard will likely point out problems anyway.

http://searchexchange.techtarget.com...281195,00.html

This too:
                      http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../aa998193.aspx
                      cheers
                      Andy

Comment

Working...
                      X