Credential Prompting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credential Prompting

Single Windows 2008 / Exchange 2007SP1 with latest rollup.
    Outlook 2007 Clients that are configured using autodiscovery. (certificate contains internal and external server names)
    Client OS's XPSP3 and VistaSP1
    1 Exchange 2003 server only used for the legacy connector so mail can flow in from Lotus Domino.
    Sharepoint exists in the environment.

I have clients on the LAN getting intermittant password prompts. Some days they may not get it and some days they get it multiple times. Some clients have never received the prompt.

There are no errors in the server or client even logs.
    I have tried disabling Kernal Mode authentication on IIS7
    IPv6 is disabled.

The password prompt refers to logging into the exchange 2007 server although one of my suspects is the exchange 2003 public folders (although we dont use them) and possibly sharepoint?

I cannot isolate the problem at all and it is intermittant. Any ideas?

Re: Credential Prompting

Is it physically restricting them from getting email? Or is this password prompt like a little dialog box that first appears at the bottom right, then asks you to log in? That would be like the same issue we are having (ours is trying to access the wrong DC, and asking us to log in) but eventually it goes away.

I have yet to isolate our issue also.

Comment

I've had the same before. This was on an Exchange 2003 network with Sharepoint 2007 and W2k3 AD domain.

To resolve, I used to reset the user's password and it would solve it.

Sometime it wouldn't, so I deleted the local profile and got them to logon.

Sometimes that didn't work, so I would remove the PC from the domain and rejoin it.

It seems to be when a user has recently changed their password or are due to.

Once I did the above, the problem wouldn't re-occur. Just now and again for different users, so just carried out the above.

Comment

Originally posted by LandoTheGiant View Post
        Is it physically restricting them from getting email? Or is this password prompt like a little dialog box that first appears at the bottom right, then asks you to log in? That would be like the same issue we are having (ours is trying to access the wrong DC, and asking us to log in) but eventually it goes away.

I have yet to isolate our issue also.

Yes it does not restrict mail access and clicking cancel has no effect on mail access. Which is why I suspect perhaps public folders or sharepoint folders, but I could be on the wrong track.

Comment

Rbanksy,

Did you see my reply. I confirmed your suspicions.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
            Rbanksy,

Did you see my reply. I confirmed your suspicions.

Yes thanks and ok, but it doesn't explain what is actualy happening. I would also rather not remove people from the domain and rejoin them each time someone has this problem. Or just reset there password.

Comment

I touch on that at the end. I believe it is when a password change is imminent or has happened. After I had carried this out for a few users, it did stop. You won't need for all of them.

Comment

Just get the users to reset passwords again. It's good security wise anyway and quick and easy. They can be trained to change their own and reboot their machine if it happens. Resolves it for the time being whilst you find a resolution. This was on a 2000 user network and thankfully, it didn't happen to everyone.

Comment

Working...
                X