How long should changes take, to hit outlook clients

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long should changes take, to hit outlook clients

How long should changes like removing users, adding resource mailboxes, creating distribution lists take to hit an outlook 2007 client after they are changed on the server? Is there a way to force whatever the delay is?

Re: How long should changes take, to hit outlook clients

Exchange caches a lot of the data it works with from AD. It's refreshed periodically, but you can force a refresh by restarting the Information Store service (IIRC).
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Exchange caches a lot of the data it works with from AD. It's refreshed periodically, but you can force a refresh by restarting the Information Store service (IIRC).
      That's kind of what I thought. I think you can restart the store but that makes more problems than it solves. Blackberry services, outlook clients getting disconnected, etc.

Brings me back to the old days when I worked at a huge hospital on an NT domain and it took 30 minutes for a new user account to show up.

Comment

Originally posted by AaronAnderson View Post
        Blackberry clients getting disconnected
        I always viewed that as a bonus
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I got a good laugh out of that one.

Comment

If Outlook is in cached mode then it can be up to 48 hours for a change to be seen.
            This is because the OAB is only generated once a day bey default (which can be changed) BUT also because Outlook will only download a new copy of the OAB automatically every 24 hours or when Outlook is started (which cannot be changed). Therefore without any intervention from the administrator, up to 48 hours is possible before an update is seen.

The information store restart is for permissions cache flushing - has no effect on changes to the GAL/OAB.

Simon.
            --
            Simon Butler
            Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
            More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
            Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
            In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

OAB is generated as per the schedule, however if there are major or important changes in that case you can forcefully generate OAB and redistribute to CAS server. However after this, client will have their own schedule to download OAB from Exchange.

In case of important change such as VIP user added etc. you can ask the end user to download the OAB from their outlook. This will ensure that OAB on that desktop/laptop will be updated one.

Comment

Working...
              X