No announcement yet.

Migrate from Exchange 2003 to 2007 in multi site domain

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrate from Exchange 2003 to 2007 in multi site domain

We are small organization running Exchange 2003 SP2 on a single Win 2k3 SE SP2 server. We want to transition to Exchange 2007 SP1 running on a (single) new Win 2008 SE server. Our topology is as follows:

- Single forest and single domain at a 2003 functional level.

- Two AD sites: Headquarters (HQ) and Branch Office (BO) on separate subnets connected via MPLS.

- HQ site has a Win 2k3 EE server running as the PDC and GC. The Exchange 2003 server is also at this site on a separate server and is running as a DC and GC as well.

- BO site has a Win 2k3 R2 server operating as a DC and GC also.

- All clients are currently using Outlook 2003 on XP SP3 machines. We plan to migrate everyone to Outlook 2007, however some will also get new Vista SP1 boxes.

- The current Exchange 2003 server, which is also a DC and GC, will be decommissioned once the migration is complete.

1) Will this deployment scenario work, and what recommendations or direction can you give us?

2) Provided that we already have and plan to leave the server acting as PDC and GC in operation at the HQ site, will the new Exchange 2007 server need to be a DC or not?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Migrate from Exchange 2003 to 2007 in multi site domain

This is pretty straight forward. We did it some time ago.

If you set up the new server on the network the Exchange 2007 will detect and connect with the 2003 server. Within the Exchange 2007 Management Interface you can then move the mailboxes onto the new server and in due course retire the old server.

I was surprised at how painless it was.

You need a GC in the same AD site as any Exchange server so you look like you are fine on that score.

You need to make sure there is no smarthost setup on the SMTP virtual server as this will interrupt mail flow between the 2003 and 2007 environments.
      ColinJack is correct, it generally is fairly painless but google for 2003 - 2007 migrations as there are lots of really helpful documents on it.

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I found these articles very useful in my transition.

Also, my thread for this is here. You may find some info of use in it.

Thanks ColinJack, AndyJG247, and Virtual for your replies. You've put my mind at ease about making the transition to Exchange 2007. I guess what concerned me most about transitioning to Exchange 2007 in my environment was what I read on TechNet. Especially, the last two sentences of the following paragragh.

Simple Exchange Organizations with a Single Server
          A simple Exchange organization with a single server consists of the 64-bit, retail version of Exchange 2007 running on a computer that has been configured as an Active Directory directory service server. A simple Exchange organization can also consist of a single computer running the version of Exchange that is included with the retail version of Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 (Windows SBS) server software. Because both solutions are single-server topologies that host Active Directory and Exchange on the same computer, these topologies can only be installed into a single Service Delivery Location (SDL) and it can only contain a single Active Directory site. In this solution, the Client Service Location (CSL) is the same physical location as the SDL.

From this I deduced a simple Exchange deployment on a single server might not work in a multi-site domain. Is it just me, or do any of you read it the same way. Regardless, I am going to take the plunge and report back any issues I may encounter. Lastly, does anyone have suggestions on how to make the transition smoothly with my SSL certificate?

Thanks again for all your help. It's most appreciated.