Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Server Exchange 2007

Hello,

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I wanted to hear some up to date opinions.

What are your guys opinions on running Exchange 2007 on a Virtual Server in a production environment?

Thanks,

Re: Virtual Server Exchange 2007

Personally, I would never virtualise Exchange in a production environment. If you must do so, the only hypervisor that Microsoft supports for Exchange virtualisation is Hyper-V, and I would suggest that you use Hyper-V Server rather than Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V.

Make sure your physical hardware is meaty, and that you allocate sufficient memory to the VM.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

There are plenty of articles out on the internet and indeed in these forums.
      A good one is:
      http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/20...22/450463.aspx
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Well I virtualised exchange 2007 for 30 mailboxes and its running just fine... Underlaying hardware is HP proliant DL380 G5 2X quad core cpu and 8X146GB SAS local storage in RAID 10.

I`m running 6 virtual machines on it including DC, SQL2005 server and sharepoint server...
        Easy to backup, too simple disaster recovery and much more benefits here. We use VCB to backup all our machines, Exchange is backed up also with ntbackup...

It depends for how many mailboxes you need exchange for... I would virtualise it up to 50 users given hardware I specified above...

50+ go psyhical...

Comment

Depending on usage as well, very heavy users make a difference too.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thank you guys. some great info.

Comment

Working...
            X