No announcement yet.

E2K7 Backup recommendation

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E2K7 Backup recommendation

HI All,

We have E2K7 on cluster enviroment(Mailbox Role), for backup ssolution we bought HP Data Protector.

what kind of backup we should confgure (brick level or database level) also in brick level what will happ to exchange transaction log file will it flush or remain as it is.

Re: E2K7 Backup recommendation

Not sure with a cluster environment bit I use the NTBACKUP for backing up the Exchange Server. I have recently had to recover emails from a mailbox and found the native restore wizard in 2k7 Exchange very simple to use and used the NTBACKUP to restore a database, mount it and then merge emails in to the existing mailbox.

Brick level backup is a waste of time. Slow inefficient and close to useless for most DR scenarios. It also doesn't flush the logs.
      You need to do an information store backup to flush the logs.

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

As Simon said, IS back up is much better than brick level.
        If this is a CCR cluster then I would also recommend that you have you backup target the passive node to reduce any performance hit that you may result.

Correct me if I am wrong, then ntbackup would be suitable as it does an IS store backup and is a free solution.

NTBAckup is not recommended, why go streaming, when you can go the VSS way. It is faster. Use some 3rd Party Exchange aware solutions like Veritas or even DPM.

Bricklevel backup, well depends how many uses you have any if you have a small backup window, to work on. But with Clustered environment, do you really think you will need a brick level backup.

Your call