Problems with Exchange and our DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Exchange and our DC

We run our own Exchange server and have seperate Domain Controllers for seperate items. Typically our Outlook will go for dc1.exchange and receieve/send mail from there. On occasion, some of our users (including me and other IT people, along with developers) see a pop up in outlook saying its trying to connect to d2.exchange which freezes then crashes our outlook. We haven't been able to isolate the issue, as it appears to be random. There was one time when it really started giving us issues, and that was when we were streaming the inauguration, but that was only from 1 user. It prompts us to log in on the dc2, but just crashes our Outlook

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Landon

Re: Problems with Exchange and our DC

how exactly does streaming the inauguration tie into problems with your exchange server?

In any case installing exchange on a DC is not supported and not recomended.

Comment

We are not sure why the streaming of a video affected this issue, that is mainly why we are posting. It is acting like Bandwidth has a direct connection to our issue, so maybe faulty ethernet cables or ports?

We do not have a DC installed on the Exchange server, but we use one to access it. The issue is our outlook trying to go to dc2 instead of dc1 (in which both are off site at a seperate location).

Its not everyone having this issue, so this is why we are puzzled at it. It happens at random times, nothingreally goes on while we are doing it (except when we streamed that video, and one user had multiple issues in a row).

Comment

Are DC1 and DC2 in different sites within sites and services?
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

You could check the SPNs set on the DCs.

Comment

They are both at the same site, but off site here. They are located downtown at another office where some of our other servers are. And they both do have different services.

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
            Are DC1 and DC2 in different sites within sites and services?

Comment

SPNs also determine the GCs and DCs a computer connects to etc. I had a problem with a computer that used to be a DC and then was demoted out. The SPNs were pointing at itself for GC, DC etc. It will be worth checking the SPNs.

http://windowsitpro.com/article/arti...ns-part-1.html

Comment

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc773257.aspx

Comment

We took a look at it, and it seems like nothing is out of place.

Comment

Any firewalls involved?
                    If you were streaming video may it is saturating the link. If both DCs are GCs then Exchange will use both of them.
                    Why not set DC1 manually on it (to test) and see if you have problems?
                    Failing that remove the GC from the second one. It may just be lack of bandwidth.
                    cheers
                    Andy

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
                      Any firewalls involved?
                      If you were streaming video may it is saturating the link. If both DCs are GCs then Exchange will use both of them.
                      Why not set DC1 manually on it (to test) and see if you have problems?
                      Failing that remove the GC from the second one. It may just be lack of bandwidth.
                      We have multiple firewalls due to our security we need to keep in place. We looked up the DC and GC's on both of them, and it looks like Exchange uses both DC's to connect (incase one of our server goes down, it will fail to the other). We are not able to bring one to manual due to the other services it uses. We ran a test on our exchange server and found out there are some outdated drivers on it (including TCP), so we are wondering if that would cause this issue?

We also monitor our bandwidth, and it is below 1/2 usage at normal, and around 1/2-3/4 usage at peak.

What we dont understand is how it is only targeting specific people each time, occurs at different times to each person, and isn't happening in a pattern. Nothing linked with doing someting in outlook (i.e. doing specific things such as opening an attachment or sending an e-mail). It happens in the morning when few people are here, or when alot of people are here.

Is there any chance it could just be the specific people who have it, that they have an issue with their physical network cables and maybe the connection internally is bad? Is there a way to test your internal connection speed (i.e. speed test of copying a file to/from a server to your dekstop?)

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by LandoTheGiant View Post
                        Is there a way to test your internal connection speed (i.e. speed test of copying a file to/from a server to your dekstop?)
                        That would work.

Could also try linkspeed.exe
                        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

We are looking into using linkspeed.exe right now.

Also, I have narrowed down my problem with this error:

It appears to only happen to me after I turn my computer off on Friday, and its off all weekend until Monday morning when I turn my computer back on. I then get this error (I took a screen shot of it):

(I had to void out our actual address, but that should not be popping up at all).

Comment

Try this on your machine for the GC at your "site"
                            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319206
                            cheers
                            Andy

Comment

Yea, we had one of our other IT guys try that out last week, and he has yet to see this issue. We are going to push this through with Group Policy and see what it does on everyone's machines.

Ill keep you posted.

Comment

Working...
                              X