Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware requirements for Exchange Server 2007 UM

Hello everybody,

I want to know the hardware requirements for installing an exchange server 2007 unified messaging for about 100-150 users.

I read the minimum hardware requirements presented by Microsoft, but of course these are the "minimum" requirements and not the recommended ones.

SO i wonder if a quad-core AMD Opteron processor with 2*2 GB of memory and Raid 5 hard disk, each with 1 TB of space is really required or is it too much ?

Maybe we can reduce the 1 TB space for each mirror hard disk in the Raid 5 to let's say 250 GB each...will it still be feasible and recommended since the hard disks are the most expensive parts in the server?

Thanks a lot

Elliot

Re: Hardware requirements for Exchange Server 2007 UM

If the server is doing JUST UM, then it needs processing power and RAM. Storage isn't so important.
    If you are mixing it with the other roles then you have to look at the storage configuration. I would certainly be looking at a minimum of three full arrays (OS/Apps, logs, database).

Thus to host UM with everything else I would be looking to give it as much as I could throw it. Dual processor and at least 4gb of RAM, probably 8 or more.
    If you do go for a single processor then get something that can take a second processor so that an upgrade is possible.

I have UM on a home system with a single user, single processor (ie me) and it works, but isn't great. When a call is in progress processor use goes through the roof.

Simon.
    --
    Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
    More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
    Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
    In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

I would go with a dual socket system on this and I also suggest dual or quad core cpu. If your budget is limited buy a dual socket system with only socket populated.

As for ram 4-8GB would be more than enough for UM, anything less and you may start seeing bottlenecks in the performance once you start having a larger demand.

Unless you're doing more than this one app on the server for UM 1TB of storage seems overkill. 250-500gb.

Usually we config the X3650 or X3655 for customer who are looking to buy a server for UM.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,
      Steven

Comment

Originally posted by elliot111 View Post
        Maybe we can reduce the 1 TB space for each mirror hard disk in the Raid 5 to let's say 250 GB each...will it still be feasible and recommended since the hard disks are the most expensive parts in the server?

Thanks a lot

Elliot
        Keep in mind as well that Raid 5 usable space will be the sum of all drives - 1 of the drives, so 3 x 250GB HDDs will allow you 500GB storage. 3 X 1TB will allow 2 TB. (think I'mright with this)

Storage wise, if it's not just for UM and you need quick access speed, you can consider whether you go for SAS drives or SATA drives. SAS is considerabally more expensive but is considerabally faster than SATA drives.

Comment

Virtual, you are right in regards to RAID5. The capacity of any RAID5 array is: N x size of 1 drive - 1 N size, where N is the number of drives. As for production servers, I wouldn't use SATA ever, anywhere, except near-line, non-production storage such as a NAS that's used for de-duplication, etc.

Comment

Working...
          X