No announcement yet.

Email Archiving or Alternate backup

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Archiving or Alternate backup

Hello to everyone here,

This is my first post. I very new to Exchange Server, I need some help related to situation given below,

1. My company do not want to invest in Email Archiving softwares available in industry. I actually want to created a backup user e.g. "backupmailuser" that automatically receives a copy of every email sent and received by all users including all internal and mails from internet and to internet. So I make PST file of all mails received by "backupmailuser" on daily or at suitable time.

This is the situation like when we use smart host on ISP and ISP keeps all mails for every user.

I will be happy to get some any other tool or technique related and if this method is used legally.

Re: Email Archiving or Alternate backup

Welcome to Petri, Shahbaz

You can do this using message journalling -- check the help for more info

But what about contacts, calendar entries etc -- they will NOT be covered
    Also a restore is going to be difficult as how will you easily track who the original recipient of a message was?

IMHO your company is being "penny wise but pound foolish" -- yes, they will save some money now but if there is a disaster, recovery will be very messy and awkward
    There are some exchange aware backup solutions available for < $300
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Email Archiving or Alternate backup

Thank You Sir,

I agree 100% to you.