convert Outlook 2003 to Exchange 2007

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• convert Outlook 2003 to Exchange 2007

Has anyone successfully done an Outlook 03 to Exchange Server 07 conversion? Can anyone provide any information(instructions, links, etc.) on specifically what is involved and the best way to do it?

Re: convert Outlook 2003 to Exchange 2007

I'm assuming you mean migrating or transitioning from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007. If so, here's a good starting point:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb124008.aspx

Comment

No, Im talking about migrating from MS Office Outlook 2003 to Microsoft Exchange Server 2007.

Comment

You are talking two very different products here

Exchange is an Email SERVER -- it sits in the back office and... er... serves emails

Outlook is an Email CLIENT -- it sits on a users desktop and receives emails from the server

Where do you get your emails from at the moment?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

We use a pop3 protocol in Outlook 2003 to get the mail from the mail server. We want to switch over to MS Exchange Server 2007 because it offers more features. How do you transition the Outlook 2003 emails(.pst files) over?

Comment

Ah, it begins to make sense now...

I assume you have an Active Directory domain in place already? If so:
            Install Exchange 2007 on a 64-bit (Server 2003 or 200 member server
            Mail enable all users (create their mailboxes on the Exchange server)
            Create new outlook profiles connecting to Exchange
            Open the old PSTs in Outlook
            Copy messages to the Exchange server

Note you will need to consider email delivery separately, presumably sending incoming emails directly to the Exchange server instead of to the (ISP's?) POP3 server
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the good information. You are correct, we have an active directory domain in place already. What did you mean when you said I will need to consider email delivery separately, presumably sending incoming emails directly to the Exchange server instead of to the (ISP's?) POP3 server? All of the existing emails are on our server, not an ISP's server... I know I will have to set up the MS Exchange server 2007 for POP 3 email after the transition.

Comment

OK, let me see if I get this straight
                At the moment emails come:
                From Internet to your LAN (MX records point to your public IP)
                Are delivered from your gateway to your SMTP server (which one?)
                Are stored there until collected by POP3 by Outlook

If this is right, you will not need POP3 delivery after you install Exchange -- Outlook will talk using MAPI directly to the Exchange server, with messages stored on the server and displayed in Outlook (one place only to backup)
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

correct, you have it straight, we use a pop3 server for incoming emails and an smtp protocol for outgoing emails. The emails are stored on the server until collected by POp 3 by Outlook. I Never heard of MAPI. Maybe it is a newfeature of Exchange 2007? I always assumed that Exchange (Server)2007 would still use pop3.

Comment

MAPI has been there since the earliest days of Exchange -- the only reason to use POP3 is if you use some non-Outlook clients e.g. Outlook Express
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Working...
                    X