X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 5.5. Migration...

Hello All,

This is my first post here so go easy!

I am in charge of a legacy email server running Exchange 5.5. Yes I know...

I am looking at alternatives so that I can upgrade the exchange. I realise that a straight 5.5 to 2007 upgrade does not seem to be feasible. The proposed route would be to purchase new equipment, install the Exchange and then migrate the accounts away from the old Exchange (which we can then junk). I have a few questions:

Are there any obvious "clangers" that I need to keep an eye out for?
    Has anybody here attempted to do this and, if you have, what was your experience?
    Apparently you can downgrade to 2003? Why would you want to do that?
    Can someone explain licensing? Do I really need to purchase one CAL for every user????

We are a small outfit of only 30 staff members so I am trying to do all of this through the most cost effective method possible.

Cheers for your help.
    Last edited by antihippy; 10th December 2008, 14:01.

Re: Exchange 5.5. Migration...

You can't do a direct migration so you have to go through 2003 first.
    I would start reading and searching on google

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/20...29/431687.aspx
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb124008.aspx
    http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=23489

How big are your mailboxes? If you only have 30 users and they only a little mail then you could always exmerge, remove 5.5 and start up with 2007. What level is your domain/forest. A migration is usually something a consultant is brought in for as they can determine all things that are relevant to your setup.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

The mailboxes themselves are not that big. Using Exmerge might be the way forward.

As you say getting in a consultant is something that I would consider but, in the current climate (and the sector I work in) there's not much money floating about, so we're being told to look at doing this ourselves.

I've already done some reading and established that I couldn't to the in-place upgrade. We need new kit anyway so a completely new server is to be ordered. The whole domain is currently a single AD 2003 forest - so putting the Exchange in doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. I was originally going to go for Exch' 2003 but it seems really hard to get hold of. Dell tell me that they are no longer offering it but that "MS are offering users the option of downgrading to it for those using the 2007 disc." This is something that I am not finding much information on.

Then there's the licensing... For 30 users the licensing alone seems... extortionate.

Comment

Depending on quite a few things you could look at jumping to SBS? A lot cheaper and loads of extras
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

Hmmm...

I've got a colleague trying to chase down a copy of Exch' 2003 in the meantime.

Which, few things, should we consider with SBS?

I did have a look at that as an option but the impression I've been given by the sub forum on here is that it doesn't like sitting on a network with other servers doing the jobs it thinks it should be doing!

Comment

Sorry, I meant we didn't have any info on what you had setup so would need more information. You can have member servers without issue. Obviously one problem with this setup is the possible loss of NTFS permissions but if that isn't an issue (I think swing may take this into account) then you could start a fresh almost. It really depends on what you already have.
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

How much information?

These roles are currently distributed amongst the existing machines.

We have a legacy SQL 2k machine (also soon to be junked).
              We have a separate Exch' 5.5 member server
              We have a DC that also has DHCP and DNS on it. Plus it coordinates the backups.
              A 2nd backup DC.
              A file and Print Server
              And a SQL 2005 machine that also hosts our electronic document server.

The key parts of the upgrade are to make this as seamless as possible for our users and to avoid "re-inventing" the wheel. PLus it should also be as painless for me and my minion.

Comment

You can't have any Exchange 5.5 servers in the Org when you install 2007 therefore you will need to move to 2003 first, remove the 5.5 and then move to 2007. It is a lot of work. Are there any features of 2007 you actually need? 2003 is really solid.

I haven't tried the Quest tool in the third link but that may end up being the easiest and most seamless however more expensive.
                cheers
                Andy

Comment

The only reason that I am even considering 2007 is that our normal reseller (dell) are refusing to sell me 2003. I would actually prefer to track down a copy and use that.

You are confirming the research I've already done - and to be completely honest I am not enthusiastic about moving to 2007. It's proving hard to track down a copy of Exch' 2003. I get the distinct impression that MS are really pushing 2007.

What about this idea that the 2007 disk gives you 2003 as a downgrade option?

If I have to install 2007 then downgrade to 2003 we are adding an additional level of complexity and time to the install. As I say I have a colleague trying to track me down a plain copy of 2003.

BTW:
                  Thanks for the replies. You are definitely chiming with my thoughts and reservations. We are not in a rush to upgrade... but it will be nice to finally great rid of 5.5 as it is our last bit of really old kit.

Comment

You can't buy Exchange 2003 any longer.
                    If you want to buy Exchange 2003 then you have to buy Exchange 2007 and use downgrade rights. Dell or whoever your reseller is should be able to sell you a 2007 license and order a media kit from Microsoft's fulfilment center. Then you can install Exchange 2003.

However, with all due respect, Exchange 2003 is effectively an eight your old product, that version is five years old. While you are on a very old version at the moment, so any upgrade is going to be a major change, considering the significant change in behaviour between 5.5 and 2003, and between 2003 and 2007 I would suggest skipping 2003 completely and going straight to 2007 via exmerge.

With only 30 users I would also be looking at SBS 2008. It will be the most cost effective way of purchasing Exchange. SBS will provide wizards and a nice interface for most of the management of the application.

Unfortunately will probably mean a new domain, as the Exchange 5.5 server would have to be ripped out if you wanted to use the existing domain. That would leave you exposed as you would have to export the data and then hope the export was successful.
                    Go to a new domain and you can run both side by side and move everything across in your own time. Obviously if there are business issues to worry about then you may have to adjust the timetable.

While a new domain seems like a massive thing, I have now done it three times this year, all with more users than you. We had to write off a day of business, but the client saw the long term benefits with all three clients to take that hit. The management gains, with remote working, a clean domain, new computer accounts etc far outweighed the disruption and all three clients are very pleased with the results.

While you have knocked back using a consultant, I would actually suggest you reconsider. While it may seem an unnecessary expense, getting a consultant in who has done the job before, will make the process a lot smoother, a lot less headaches, and provide you with someone who can provide training and support on YOUR system. They can answer the questions you have.

If you do it yourself and something goes wrong then you will have to bring in a consultant to fix it. Speaking from my own experience, my bills are higher to clean up servers than they are to deploy them myself. Not that I am complaining - I like to clean up stuff. However if I was brought in from the start it would not cost as much. Don't forget it isn't just my invoice that is a cost, but most likely I am only brought in when it is having an impact on the business. The total cost to the business could be ten times my fee.

Simon.
                    --
                    Simon Butler
                    Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                    More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                    Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                    In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your reply.

I've been telling the board for the last 3 years that we needed to replace this particular server. It's only now that they've found the cash for the upgrade. Still, better late than never.

So, let's see if I am correct, the two options are:

• Install 2007 on the network. Start the mailboxes from scratch and give everyone PSTs of the their old inboxes.
                      • Install SBS 2003 on a seperate domain and migrate to it.

Both seem to have their pitfalls and trickiness. I am a little uncertain which is the best option. Like you I think getting a running 2007 server might be the best option as we will be getting longer term support for it. I also note that there is a new version of SBS in the offing.

It's just the complexity of the upgrade that bothers me the most. I am quite happy to administer the Exchange - but this sort of migration is not something I've attempted before. It's both interesting and worrying at the same time.

While you have knocked back using a consultant, I would actually suggest you reconsider. While it may seem an unnecessary expense, getting a consultant in who has done the job before, will make the process a lot smoother, a lot less headaches, and provide you with someone who can provide training and support on YOUR system. They can answer the questions you have.
                      I've gone back to the board after reading the comments here - and communing with some of my other geek friends. We're at the very least going to get quotes in from a couple of dedicated consultancies and see if we can arrange a time in the new year.

Comment

I didn't say anything about SBS 2003, I said SBS 2008. It was released last month.

Whatever option you do, the migration is going to be complex. You are three versions behind on Exchange, which means a lot has to change.

Simon.
                        --
                        Simon Butler
                        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

I misread your comment. I didn't think that 2008 was out yet.

And yes I understand that the migration is going to be complex.

Comment

Working...
                          X