Email Snooping questions.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Snooping questions.

I have a manager than want's to supervise his employees' work email usage and I'm wondering what the best way to go about it is.

I could give him the OWA info and their password and he can log into their email or I could give him full control of her account in exchange and show him how to open her inbox.

With the second method, is there a way to make the other user's folder stay on the directory tree on the side of outlook? When I open it now, it opens their inbox in my active pane, but if I click anything in my mail tree, I have to reopen the mail box again. Is there a way to make it persistent? Also, going this route, he can only see things currently in the root of her inbox. He can't see in other folders or deleted items.

Additionally, this is just theoretical and I'd like to know how, but if the big boss wants me to check a user's email, what would be the best way to do that? Can I do that through the EMC?

Sorry if these are basic questions, but all my searching only led to delegating permissions and setting up Full Control, which I already know how to do, but am not familiar with beyond that.

Re: Email Snooping questions.

Our management just makes use of the journaling feature.
    It is much more powerful in 07 than it was in 03.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../cc160869.aspx
    Stacey Smith
    Sr. Systems Engineer

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane --Samuel Clemens

Comment

A little off topic, but just remember that your first action in situations such as this would be to review your company policy to ensure that this activity is allowed. Consult your legal department for clarification if necessary. If it turns out to be against company policy, then "the boss told me to do it" isn't a great defence.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
        With the second method, is there a way to make the other user's folder stay on the directory tree on the side of outlook?
        Open Tools, Account Settings, the account itself and more settings, in the advanced tab you can add mailboxes there.

I agree with gf though, you need to make sure this is allowed first.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

The guy doing the asking owns the company.

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
          Open Tools, Account Settings, the account itself and more settings, in the advanced tab you can add mailboxes there.

I agree with gf though, you need to make sure this is allowed first.

Is there an easier way to do it (for one offs) through the management console?

Comment

The guy doing the asking owns the company
            Doesn't automatically give him the right to read someone's email. This right must be granted by a company policy which the user in question has accepted.
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              Doesn't automatically give him the right to read someone's email. This right must be granted by a company policy which the user in question has accepted.
              Well, regardless, it's fine and dandy to do it. I just need to know if there's a better way.

Comment

AndyJG247's solution is the best approach.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Welcome
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Is there an easier way to do it (for one offs) through the management console?
                      This is an outlook setting not using ESM. This should allow the user to see both their mailbox on the left pane (with inbox/sent etc) plus another users mailbox with the same.
                      cheers
                      Andy

Comment

This is an outlook setting not using ESM. This should allow the user to see both their mailbox on the left pane (with inbox/sent etc) plus another users mailbox with the same.
                        I understand that. What I meant by one offs was is there an easy way for me as the admin to check their email through ESM?

Comment

ESM isn't a client, it is the management interface. It can't view any emails you would need to use something like outlook to do that. Do I have your question confused somehow, apologies if that is the case?
                          cheers
                          Andy

Comment

ESM isn't a client, it is the management interface. It can't view any emails you would need to use something like outlook to do that. Do I have your question confused somehow, apologies if that is the case?
                            No, you fully understand. I know ESM probably still has a lot of parts I'm not familiar with, so I was wondering if I could check a mailbox through it. If it's not possible, then I have my answer.

Comment

Ok no probs
                              cheers
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X