Mass Email gets sent multiple times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass Email gets sent multiple times

I have a client who is sending out mass emails once to twice a week. These emails are sent to their member list which contains about 2600 people. They break the mass emails up into groups of 400 per send.
    The problem is this, when it goes out, sometimes it gets resent to random members. Most times, it gets resent anywhere from 6 to 7 times, but we’ve received complaint emails stating that members have received over 50 of the emails and that a certain member has received 1 of the emails every hour for over two days.
    My first thought was to check the Transient failure retry attempts level from 3 to 1. That didn’t work.
    My next thought, and actually the most prevalent thought when I first heard of the problem was that there was a members email box that was either full or couldn’t be found which was causing the emails to resend themselves all the while trying to find the said mailbox.
    Nothing else is going wrong with their exchange server.
    I know this is a very open ended problem but any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
    My job consists of 30% luck, 50% knowledge and skill and 20% total BS.

Re: Mass Email gets sent multiple times

Amazing... I'm having almost this exact same issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
      Amazing... I'm having almost this exact same issue.
      I'm on the phone with M$ support...

The message ID's on all the multiple messages are the same, meaning that Exchange only sent it once.

My client uses Postini and we're thinking it's an issue with them or possibly an issue with the recipients...

I'm glad someone else is going through this and not just me...

Do you have any updates or fixes?

Comment

Unfortunately, no. This was just brought to my attention and I've had more pressing issues.

All I know is that someone sent out one mass email last week and some customers got it 6-7 times over about a 2 hour span.

Comment

Yeah, this is my most pressing issue according to my client...

I really have no other clue as to what this could be. I mean, I've looked at everything.

This is the flow:

Mail gets generated -> passes through Exchange -> out to Postini who filters it -> on to recipients mail server. I've already figured out that Postini is not my issue nor is Exchange.

I do have Trend Micro mailscan installed on the server so that's my next target, although I've been on the phone with Trend for an hour now and no response.

This is giving my brain an ache...

Comment

Are you using a Mail Relay at your network perimeter?

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
              Are you using a Mail Relay at your network perimeter?
              Nope, no relay... in fact we thought Postini was acting as a relay but it's just filtering.

Comment

Working...
              X