No announcement yet.

Removing RUS from Exchange 2007

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing RUS from Exchange 2007

I have an EX07 box and I have ran the BPA and came across 4 entries that state "Recipient Update Service enabled on Exchange 2007". This error message appears 4 times within the BPA.

When expanding the error, I get the following:

"The specified Exchange server (SERVER) for processing Recipient Update Service 'Recipient Update Service (Enterprise Configuration)' is running Exchange Server 2007. The service will not process updates in this configuration, please choose a non-Exchange Server 2007 server to host the service."

Upon further investigation, I saw a reference to remove some entries via ADSIedit. I have attached a screenshot of what I am supposed to remove from ADSI. ADSI will only be used after completing a full system state backup.

I thought it was coincidence that I have 4 errors in the Exchange BPA and 4 entries in the ADSI view.

Here is the site in which I found some instruction:

This EX07 box has been in production by itself for about 2 years after being upgraded from a decomissioned EX2K server. The 2K server has not been in service since shortly after we finished the 2K7 upgrade.

Does this appear to be valid? Or would anyone else have additional steps to add. I trust the guys on this forum, that's why I'm second guessing my steps as I do not want to crash my mail system, I know how tricky it is to mess with ADSI.
    Attached Files
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Re: Removing RUS from Exchange 2007

In exchange Server 2007 RUS has been removed.

If you still have legacy Exchange Server present in the network. Check the properties of the Enterprise RUS and check which server is listed as Exchange Server and DC. Make sure they are correct.

If on the RUS (E) the Exchange server is Exchange 2007 then it's not gonna process the changes as E2K7 doesn't understand the RUS.

The Exbpa also provides you an option
    How to resolve this issue.

Can you upload exbpa report so i can have look into .
    You can export the report into xml using the same Exbpa
    Thanks & Regards

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
    Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
    Independent IT Consultant and Architect

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points