POP3 redirection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POP3 redirection

How can redirect POP3 on my Exchange server so that our new E2003 mailbox is redirected to our CAS2007 server and then from there it goes out to the firewall and internet?

Currently our POP3 in the old E2003 box is going directly out to the internet and I need to move the user's account onto the new E2003 mailbox -->CAS2007--> Firewall --> Internet

Thanks.

Re: POP3 redirection

I may be a bit slow this morning but I can't quite understand what you are asking.
    I assume you are in the middle of a migration and have users connecting to your Exchange 2003 with POP3. When they send emails it will be sent either out of the 2003 SMTP connector OR it will go over the connector to Exchange 2007 Hub Transport server and then go out of a send connector there (depending how you have it setup). Can you explain a bit more about your setup and specifically how you want things to work? Do your 2007 users already send out via the HT server.

Note CAS role is for client access and the Hub Transport is for "transport" so to speak.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

At the moment we have a user who is working outside our network and basically she gets email from our network through POP3. She only uses POP3 to receive email and uses SMTP to send. Her Outlook is set up with her company's Exchange settings. Her mailbox is currently on an old Exchange2003 server and I would like to move it to a new E2003 server. However, the new server is set up so that all email is sent and receive from the Hub Transport server.

What POP3 settings do I need to configure so that when I move her mailbox into the new E2003 server, she will still receive her email from our network?

Sorry if I am unclear.

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      I may be a bit slow this morning but I can't quite understand what you are asking.
      I assume you are in the middle of a migration and have users connecting to your Exchange 2003 with POP3. When they send emails it will be sent either out of the 2003 SMTP connector OR it will go over the connector to Exchange 2007 Hub Transport server and then go out of a send connector there (depending how you have it setup). Can you explain a bit more about your setup and specifically how you want things to work? Do your 2007 users already send out via the HT server.

Note CAS role is for client access and the Hub Transport is for "transport" so to speak.

Comment

No problem.
        If you really want to stay with POP3 (IMAP is slightly better, OWA is better still and RPC/HTTPS is great) then you will basically need to move the mailbox over and make sure you either have POP3 setup on your firewall to point to the new CAS server or allow pop3 from another IP address inbound to it.

The CAS server won't allow POP3 by default so have a read of this:
        http://www.msexchange.org/articles_t...007-part1.html

You can test POP3 internally first on a test mailbox. Once that works use the test mailbox externally and finally move her mailbox over and test that.

POP3 is clear text passwords too so you may want to think about POP over SSL but if you go that route why not get RPC/HTTPS working instead?
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

I would like to use RPC over HTTPS but unfortunately she already has a mailbox on the exchange server unless there's a way of placing multiple Exchange accounts on Outlook.

No problem.
          If you really want to stay with POP3 (IMAP is slightly better, OWA is better still and RPC/HTTPS is great) then you will basically need to move the mailbox over and make sure you either have POP3 setup on your firewall to point to the new CAS server or allow pop3 from another IP address inbound to it.

The CAS server won't allow POP3 by default so have a read of this:
          http://www.msexchange.org/articles_t...007-part1.html

You can test POP3 internally first on a test mailbox. Once that works use the test mailbox externally and finally move her mailbox over and test that.

POP3 is clear text passwords too so you may want to think about POP over SSL but if you go that route why not get RPC/HTTPS working instead?

Comment

You can just use RPC/HTTPS to connect to the current one. It is likely she will have all her email locally on the machine but after you import it back in it should be fine. RPC/HTTPS is just another way of connecting and you can connect to the same mailbox mutiple different ways,even at the same time.
            Unless I misunderstood your post?
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

I think you might have.

Well she works for company A which is on an Exchange Server and our Company B, she also works for but checks her mail by using Outlook POP3 connection. From what I hear, you need to modify Exchange Settings in order to get RPC over Https working and since she's already using Company A's Exchange server to check mail from that company, there is no other way but to use POP3. Correct?

You can just use RPC/HTTPS to connect to the current one. It is likely she will have all her email locally on the machine but after you import it back in it should be fine. RPC/HTTPS is just another way of connecting and you can connect to the same mailbox mutiple different ways,even at the same time.
              Unless I misunderstood your post?

Comment

Two profiles to two different servers?

Extra Outlook
                http://www.hammerofgod.com/download.html

Simon.
                --
                Simon Butler
                Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

What a great utility. Good find Sembee.

kizzle911 you can also have an exchange setup with pop3 also collecting but the mails will mix up in the inbox so it isn't really that good.

Would it be a solution to setup RPC/HTTPS on a second profile to your server?
                  cheers
                  Andy

Comment

What a great utility. Good find Sembee.

kizzle911 you can also have an exchange setup with pop3 also collecting but the mails will mix up in the inbox so it isn't really that good.

Would it be a solution to setup RPC/HTTPS on a second profile to your server?
                    I would like to use the POP3 service since it's only for one user. The problem that I am having now is that I am able to telnet to webmail.server.com 110 (shows the service is ready) but I am to log in with USER and PW.

I tried this internally as well and I get the same error "ERR command is not valid in this state"

Any ideas???

Comment

Working...
                    X