X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyl0r
    started a topic Backup Size Exchange 2007

Backup Size Exchange 2007

If I have Server 2008 with Exchange 2007 and about 60 mailboxes. Some Backup and mail security software lets say in this case it is Backup Exec / Symantec Mail security and if I didn't really put much else on the server besides that stuff how large do you think an entire backup would be? Would it fit on one 36/72GB Dat72 Tape? I have no idea what the size of a full backup would approximately be and I'm trying to find the right tape drive.

• Ossian
    replied
    Re: backup issue.

As per the forum rules, please start a new thread rather than hijacking an existing one

Reported to forum mod/admins for splitting

Leave a comment:

• Sembee
    replied
    Re: Backup Size Exchange 2007

An LTO drive will go in to a single 3.5 inch bay. Mine at home does. It is a nice HP drive. It was external but I took it to bits and converted it in to an internal drive.

Depends on the size of the server I guess.

Simon.

Leave a comment:

• Tyl0r
    replied

hehe roger that (:

It just seems that the DAT drives fit into the cheaper rack-mounted servers and the LTO's don't. At least I can't find a good ones that do. Owell no biggie.

Leave a comment:

• Sembee
    replied

Whatever you buy, it will not be enough.
    Therefore get the biggest your budget will allow.
    At home I am using an LTO1 drive, gives me 100gb of space uncompressed and doesn't hang about with backups.

Not a fan of DAT any longer, slow and fragile.

Simon.

Leave a comment:

• Tyl0r
    replied

K, no one is going to have over 50MB of email, most likely it'll be like 10MB tops.

so assuming 20-25MB on Average it'll be 1.5 GB max total. So with Backup Exec, Mail Security, Windows Server 2008, and Exchange do you have a ballpark idea? I'm trying to find the right tape drive.

Nothing else will be installed on the server.

Thanks,

Leave a comment:

• Ossian
    replied

Look at the size of your mailbox stores (not the log files) as a starting point

Leave a comment:

• AndyJG247
    replied

Without knowing the size of the mailboxes there is no way we could even hazard a guess. A DAT tape would likely not be enough though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X