No announcement yet.

Basic Questions on Ex2k7 Mail Routing

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Questions on Ex2k7 Mail Routing

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this and definitely should know the answer.

I am just starting to roll-out Exchange 2007 onto my child domain, mycompany.local. Other domains (sister companies) in the forest, including the forest root domain (, are running a mix of Exchange 2003 and 2007 but my domain (my company) is currently on Merak (not Exchange).

What I want to do is create an Accepted Domain of my production domain,, and a send connector to * on my new Exchange 2007 servers. Then I'll keep incoming mail going to our Merak server and relay it to our Exchange servers for small groups of users at a time. So that group of users will start connecting to Exchange instead of Merak for sending/receiving mail.

When those users send mail to an external domain (outside of the forest) the messages will be sent directly from my Hub Transport servers to the internet. When those users send mail to an internal domain (inside the forest) the mail will be routed through the other Hub Transport servers in each AD Site of the forest along the way based on the AD least cost route until it reaches its destination Mailbox server.

My first question is this new setup will only affect users that I've forwarded their mail from Merak to Exchange and have changed their Outlook clients from POP3 on Merak to MAP on Exchange, right? It will have absolutely no impact on other users, whose mail I have not forwarded yet, right?

My second question is will I need to make any additional changes, like manually create a routing connector, to route mail via the other Exchange 2003 and 2007 servers in the other AD Sites or will it just work?

Again this is something I should already know but I've only used previous versions of Exchange (5.5, 2000 and 2003) and can't afford to disrupt production.

Thank you and sorry for the length of my post.