No announcement yet.

Exchange 2003 to 2007 Transition

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 to 2007 Transition

I need your suggestions and advices in migrating a exchange 2003 environment to exchange 2007.

My exchange is a multisite site environment ex.A,B and C. stretched accross 3 different locations. all 3 sites hosts independent exchange 2003 mailbox servers under single forest of active directory

i moved all the mailboxes from B and C locations to location A's mailbox server. and removed B and C locations exchange 2003 servers permanently making location A centralized.

Now my query is
    1) What role to be installed first of exchange 2007?
    2) Do i need to consider or modify any thing prior installing HUB-transport role as i really dont want to have any downtime in mail-flow.
    3) When to install and introduce my CAS

Radhakanth Ayyagari

Re: Exchange 2003 to 2007 Transition

You could instal Mailbox, HT and CAS on a new box, part of your current organisation, then do a slow migration of mailboxes

Basically follow this:
    Set up new Exchange 2007 server (will use 2K3 server for incoming / outgoing email)
    Set up test mailboxes
    Test flow to/from existing server & within new server
    Set up CAS role (OWA, OutlookAnywhere) and test with test account
    Move users slowly & test
    add internet connectors
    decommission old server
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

CAS then HT roles are usually installed first unless you want a single server. When you install the HT role with the 2003 org it will create a routing group connector that allows email to flow between the two. If you don't setup a send connector then emails sent from 2007 mailboxes will flow through the routing group connector into the 2003 and then out. Mails between the 2003 and 2007 will flow through this connector too.

Can you provide more info on what you want for your new environment including sites and sizes.

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I have just completed a transition recently from a single 2k3 box to 2k7 though the principles will be the same.

Its worth a look at.

Thanks a lot my friends, I have gathered all of your suggestions and advices and shall undertake this process implementation in couple of weeks..

Shall get back to you if i experience any difficulties and shall also keep u updated about the process..

Thanks a lot once again