Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mailbox move / create issue.

hey all,

mixed 2k3 /2k7 enviro, have just completed install of 2k7 and all is well.

can see the exchange admin groups and have created storage groups + mbx db's ok.

however.....

get this fault when i go to create or move an existing mbx...

The address list service on the server 'UKSTCEXC02.blah.co.uk' is not running. The Exchange server address list service failed to respond. This could be because of an address list or email address policy configuration error.

Now, my highly trained google sponsored nose has told me of 2 things to check;
    1. the Exchange SA is running - check
    2. that the 'leap year' bug is not in effect - check

so im guessing as per the error code, something is corrupt or blocking access. is there anywere to get verobose output other than the very obscure info above?

there is nothing really of any use in the event logs.

any help, as always greatly appreciated.
    Kipkiller

MCP 2000/server, n+, CCNA, LPIC L1

Re: mailbox move / create issue.

Hi,
    Can you try Exchange Best Practise Analyser (ExBPA) and see the outcome!
    And perhaps Test-ServiceHealth in Powershell...
    Last edited by ftornell; 1st September 2008, 09:34. Reason: Spelling

Comment

hey ftornell,

thanks for the reply.

i had run exchange bpa and found the only thing of any concern is pretty much unrelated and more based upon one of our child domains.

my exchange topology is thus

site1 site2

Parent domain child domain
      --------------------------- -------------------
      exchange
      main bridgehead server exchange 2k3
      SMTP filter linked to parent domain due to SMTP filter

the 2k7 server will be eventually replacing the main exchange server in site1 and is currently located in site1

the install proceeded without any errors thus far.

output from powershell below;

Role RequiredServicesRunning ServicesRunning ServicesNotRunning
      ---- ----------------------- --------------- ------------------
      Mailbox True IISAdmin
      MSExchangeADTopology
      MSExchangeIS
      MSExchangeMailboxAssis
      tants
      MSExchangeMailSubmissi
      on
      MSExchangeRepl
      MSExchangeSA
      MSExchangeSearch
      MSExchangeServiceHost
      MSExchangeTransportLog
      Search
      MSFTESQL-Exchange
      W3Svc
      Client Access True IISAdmin
      MSExchangeADTopology
      MSExchangeFDS
      MSExchangeServiceHost
      W3Svc
      Hub Transport True MSExchangeADTopology
      MSExchangeEdgeSync
      MSExchangeTransport
      MSExchangeTransportLog
      Search

sorry for late reply.... have been away from work on sick leave cough!
      Kipkiller

Comment

guys,

a little more information in my quest to deploy exchange 2k7....

i have just been following an article http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/20...11/432158.aspx that is based upon my inability to move mailboxes from one different exchange organisation (based on exc 2k3) to my latest and greatest (2k7 standard)

the above article points to the fact that i needed to upgrade my Address List and Email Address Policy objects to the Exchange 2007 object version.

so, i fired up power shell and run the following command;

Set-EmailAddressPolicy "Default Policy" -IncludedRecipients AllRecipients

to which powershell gave me the wonderfully useful output failure message of Unable to validate the filter: 'The Exchange server address list service failed
        to respond. This could be because of an address list or email address policy c
        onfiguration error.'
        At line:1 char:1
        + S <<<< et-EmailAddressPolicy "Default Policy" -IncludedRecipients AllRecipien
        ts

sigh, "what does it all mean basil?" my current native 2k3 exchange environment is working without hitch so i can only assume that 2k7 hates it.... but why?

as always, suggestions and help greatfully appreciated.

cheers,
        Kipkiller

Comment

just tried the following;

Exchange 2007 setup has this validation check, that stops the setup if parenthesis "(" ")" or ampersand "&" characters are found in the purportedSearch attribute for a recipient policy already existing in your Exchange 2003 organization.

Simply use ADSIEDIT, navigate to Configuration --> Services --> MS Exchange --> [organization name] --> Recipient Policies.

For each recipient policy, open up the purportedSearch attribute and make a note of the original value. Then clear that value to <not set>. Once this has been done for all recipient policies, setup magically completes successfully.

Still with no joy! attibute was set to (mailnickname=*)

Why doesnt MS give more info to assist with fault finding????
          Kipkiller

Comment

ok, This problem is now resolved...... thanks to MS Technet

i was looking in the right place regarding the configuration using adsiedit.

browsing down, i found the following under Configuration (of local bridgehead server) -> services -> Microsoft exchange -> admingroup (domain specific) -> System Policies

i found the under CN=Mailbox Enable User the attribute purpotedSearch to have the following;

(|(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(mail nickname=*)(msExchHomeServerName=*)(homeMdb=*))(&( objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(mailnickn ame=*)(homeMdb=*))(&(objectCategory=person)(object Class=user)(mailnickname=*)(homeMta=*)(homeMdba=*) ))

should of been just the config below;

(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(mailni ckname=*)(homeMdb=*))

still unsure as to whether this was a throwback to an older migration or legacy setting before my time but i know for sure it wasnt me!!!!

hope oneday this blog (may as well be!) helps someone with their future migration.

cheers

wayne g.
            Kipkiller

Comment

Working...
            X