Route email through CAS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Route email through CAS

I have two Exchange 2003 servers and I would like to route inbound and outbound email to go through the CAS server. How do I do this?

Re: Route email through CAS

Add the hub transport role to the CAS server and create appropriate send and recieve connectors.
    (What are your roles on both servers at the moment?)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I assume you are part way through a migration? As Ossian states it is the Hub Transport role that deals with the mail flow.
      You will need to setup a new send connector on the Exchange 2007 HT so it can send email to the internet (2007 mailboxes should now use that) then remove the internet SMTP connector on your 2003 server (if you have one). 2003 will now send mail to the HT which will then send it out.

The first bit of this is worth a read:
      http://blogs.3sharp.com/deving/archi...9/27/2279.aspx
      this too
      http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/20...17/431555.aspx

Also check you have your routing group connector setup to allow mail flow between 2003 and 2007.
      http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...EXCHG.80).aspx
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Sorry I should have stated that I have HT and CAS on the same server. I have set up a new send connector on Exchange 2007 HT and I noticed that I also do have an Internet SMTP connector on the 2003 server.

So once I remove the Internet SMTP connector from the 2003 server, all mail will be routed from 2003 to HT and then send it out on the internet?

Will I need to restart any services? Will I be able to track messages from the CAS/HT server?

Thanks.

Comment

Yes. If you leave it on the 2003 then user mailboxes on there will go out using it. The 2007 mailboxes will go out using the one you setup on the HT.

Eventually you will delete or change the cost of the 2003 one so all mail goes out the 2007. You will probably not have any mailboxes left on it by then anyway though.

I'm pretty sure you don't need to restart any services.

Make sure you can send email between the two servers internally. If not check the smtp virtual server doesn't have a smarthost added as well because this will stop it.
          cheers
          Andy

Comment

Currently we dont' have any 2007 mailboxes but when we do, the 2007 mailboxes will go through the HT?

What does the cost do?? Is it s priority setting??

So if I delete the Internet connector on the Exchange 2003 server, the changes should occur immediately?

Is there anyway to check this?

How do I configure HT so all emails comes into the server?

I also check both default SMTP virtual server on the exchange 2003 server, neither of them have smarthosts.
            Last edited by kizzle911; 16th August 2008, 01:24.

Comment

Yes - create or move one to test as otherwise you may have problems.

Connectors are setup with costs. "Generally" your default smtp connector is setup with a cost of 1 in 2003. Yor new send connector in 2007 will probably be 1 and your routing group connector will be 1 as well therefore for a 2007 MB it would send the best route which is the send connector.
              You can see that by changing the costs you could get them to send out of the 2003 SMTP connector if you wanted.

Deleting the connector should work without causing issues, exchange will just recalculate.

To test? send a mail really, you can use the message tracking from both sides to see where the mail goes but to be fair just send mails externally.

You need a receive connector for inbound mail, you can just enable anonymous connections on the default receive connector OR just create a new one, there are many articles on google (msexchange.org is great) for setting these up. I would just re-direct theinbound feed to the 2007 server once you have done this.

If there is no smarthost on the Virtual Server then great. It was a gotcha for me so I like to make sure people check.

Have a good weekend!
              cheers
              Andy

Comment

Maybe I'm stupid and haven't understood a ting here but have you moved your pointers in DNS to point to the ip of the CAS?
                PITTBULL

Comment

I "believe" the question is how do mails route when you have an SMTP connector on 2003 and a send connector on 2007 when you are mid-way through a migration. Mailboxes on the 2003 will use the send connector and any 2007 mailboxes will use the send connector assuming they are on the default costs.
                  You can change that behaviour by either changing the costs or removing one / other connector.

The CAS server doesn't deal with email only the Hub Transport. If the inbound mail was setup for the 2007 server and it was setup to accept it then it would "bring" the mail in and distribute it internally, using the routing group connector to get mail to the 2003 mailboxes.
                  cheers
                  Andy

Comment

How about for emails coming inbound? I noticed the client and default receive connectors but do I need to create a new receive connector to have external email come in?

Currently, our email inbound email hits mxlogic and then it is sent to Exchange2003, how can I set the HT so it works the same way?

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
                    Yes - create or move one to test as otherwise you may have problems.

Connectors are setup with costs. "Generally" your default smtp connector is setup with a cost of 1 in 2003. Yor new send connector in 2007 will probably be 1 and your routing group connector will be 1 as well therefore for a 2007 MB it would send the best route which is the send connector.
                    You can see that by changing the costs you could get them to send out of the 2003 SMTP connector if you wanted.

Deleting the connector should work without causing issues, exchange will just recalculate.

To test? send a mail really, you can use the message tracking from both sides to see where the mail goes but to be fair just send mails externally.

You need a receive connector for inbound mail, you can just enable anonymous connections on the default receive connector OR just create a new one, there are many articles on google (msexchange.org is great) for setting these up. I would just re-direct theinbound feed to the 2007 server once you have done this.

If there is no smarthost on the Virtual Server then great. It was a gotcha for me so I like to make sure people check.

Have a good weekend!

Comment

Working...
                    X